Functions: Performance-Killers?

Started by
30 comments, last by Christoph 20 years ago
quote:Original post by BungoMan85
i doubt that has anything to do with c/c++ and everything to do with the fact that most if not all government agencies are horridly ineffecient.
1. speed of code
2. memory footprint
3. exe size
4. portability of code
5. readability of code

my HS CS teach would would give me a scolding for not putting #5 at the top. but think of it this way. does a client who is using my software give a damn about whether or not the code looks nice?

... If you don''t write readable code, you are likely to find that you become inefficient, especially when it comes time to debug. YOU should care if the code looks nice, because you''re going to spend a *lot* of time staring at it. Plus, readability tends to go along with good factoring and elimination of duplication.
Advertisement
quote:i doubt that has anything to do with c/c++ and everything to do with the fact that most if not all government agencies are horridly ineffecient.
It has nothing to do with the fact that the particular statistic came from a government agency. Do some research and you will see that a worrying amount of software projects are over budget and over price. It''s so common it''s thought of as ''normal.'' If executive management asks how reliable the numbers for a software schedule are, the appropriate response is to chuckle. That is the state of the software industry today and the past twenty years in both the private and public sectors.

This is getting off topic and I am not interested in a language pissing contest so this is my last post on the OT-subthread.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement