PS2 game development

Started by
7 comments, last by CyberSlag5k 20 years ago
I''ve read the PS2 articles here on gamedev, some of the stuff on sony''s site and Google/amazon didn''t produce much after several searches. So, does anyone know of any books/resources on programming and game development for the PS2? I hear it''s pretty tough and from what resources I''ve found thus far I don''t doubt it (heh, a page and a half of code to draw a triangle), but it does seem doable. How about those with personal experience? What''s a good venue to learn? I''ve looked into the linux kit and I think I''ll probly order one but I''d like to get some books and background first to kind of gauge feesability. Also, for those who have experience writing PS2 games, how does one get the game to disk? I know you can get your comp and PS2 to talk so you could transfer the files to your PC, but sony''s faq says the PS2 won''t read traditional CD-Rs (although i can usually get mine to play music CDs). So what method do you go about to get your game onto a disk to play on any PS2? Also also, those of you with the kit, sony''s faq says the HD doesn''t "support" games and that you need a separate kit....anyone try this out? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Mike When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Advertisement
I think you''ll find it hard to get any third party docs on PS2 programming. It''s rather hush-hush, and the PS2 is a tricky system, and very low-level. You get nice docs with devkits, but I''m not sure with the linux kit. the best way is to search and head off to the PS2 linux forums and fan sites, and ask around. You''ll get a lot more infos.

Everything is better with Metal.

From what I gather the games you produce with the linux kit can only be used on playstations that also have all that kit. Plus the anti-piracy measures make it difficult to distribute anything at all to anyone without a modded playstation. The playstation doesn''t seem to be a friendly platform for hobbist gamers - and the full sony kit is very pricey - they may even be picky about who they sell it too!
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Playstation 2 Linux community <-- Infos about Linux for the PS2
PS2DEV <-- PS2 development without Linux

hope that helps
Matt

[edited by - lemurion on March 31, 2004 10:25:29 AM]
Matt
Our console programming lecturer has published tutorials on PS2Linux programming (mainly written by a colleague on my course), and use SPS2 which you can get from the ps2-linux website..

http://www.hsfortuna.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Not sure if this is the sony site your refering to, but some scee ps2 presentations can be found at ..

http://www.technology.scee.net/sceesite/presentations.html

PS2 programming is a joy, in a pulling your hair out kind of way.
"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."- Sir Winston Churchill
Great replies everyone, thank you. You''ve been very helpful.

A few more questions based on this newly assimilated data. It kind of seems to me like there are 3 options for development environments:

1. An opensource package (like PS2DEV)
2. The Linux Dev Kit (Is this an actual sony product or some 3rd party?)
3. An official Dev Kit

Now the Linux Kit has the most appeal to me. It''s only $100 (USD) and it seems to have a decent amount of support (and ya get some cool stuff). The only thing I don''t like is that it seems like you can''t play port your games to other PS2s (ones without the linux kits, that is). The opensource kit comes in second, but i''m not particularly fond of modding my PS2. I don''t even think the official kits are an option as they''re supposedly very expensive and i hear it''s hard to even get one if you do pay up. So can anyone offer any advice as to what route to go? People currently using these various developing environments, how do you feel about them?

Thanks again for everyones help,

Mike

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...

- Id never heard of this until today. May be worth a shot.

- Yes its a Sony product and is supported as such. A decent knowledge of linux is required however.

3. An official Dev Kit

- Ain''t gonna happen. Their very expense (thousands) and only regestered development companies can get their hands on them.
"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."- Sir Winston Churchill
quote:

- Id never heard of this until today. May be worth a shot.

- Yes its a Sony product and is supported as such. A decent knowledge of linux is required however.

3. An official Dev Kit

- Ain''t gonna happen. Their very expense (thousands) and only regestered development companies can get their hands on them.

Yeah, I think I''ll go with the dev kit. This is down the line a bit, I''ll probly do a few more project in other various formats first. I''ve done a ton of C++ and have done alot of work in openGL. I''ve done some small stuff in java so I think I''ll check out java'' built in 3D stuff (I have some pretty good library books I''ve been going through) and then after that I may look into doing some GBA stuff or maybe a mod or two. Eventually, though, I would love to have a working PS2 product.

Thanks to all who responded.

Mike

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement