Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game design question

This topic is 5007 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Dear game developer community, I''m new to 3D game programming. I''ve done not-so-spectacular 2D game with DirectDraw, and I''m surrently learning OpenGL. I need some information regarding using 3D models - please share your knowledge. I want to make a 3D game with OpenGL that has lots of flying sheep in it. Obviously I want the sheep animated, too, ideally with separate animations for different parts of the sheep, e.g. body, legs, head, etc. The problem is how should the sheep models be represented. This is what I came up with. 1. Have a separate static model for each frame of animation - sounds like a bad idea... 2. Have a separate animated model for each sheep part, and display several models at once to make up a full sheep? 3. Have a single sheep model containing all animations in it? I don''t know how exactly 3D models work in principle. What is the best way to approach what I''m trying to do? What would be a good modelling app/format pair? So far people have been pointing me to Milkshape 3D. NeHe has got a tutorial on loading such models, but they are totally static, at least in the tutorial. Just one more point: I really prefer not to just get a library from somewhere and copy paste the code. I want to learn and do things myself, at least to some degree. If it''s possible/realistic of course. Thanks! Godji

a static 3d model is just a set of vertices that describe a set of triangles. to animate this, you can either use a keyframe type animation, or skeletal. my reccomendation would be to use skeletal animation. with that, all vertices are ''attached'' to bones within the model, and move with the bones. each bone is attached to another, with the children bones moving along with the parent bones - like a skeleton ;p
google can give more detailed information.

Thanks!

But what''s a proper way to implement this? I mean, in terms of file format, etc, what would be suitable? Do I use some existing file format, or do I need to make one myself (probably not considering I''d need to have a modelling app)?

Godji

Guest Anonymous Poster
There are some commonly used model formats with support for skeletal animation which you could use, such as the Milkshape format (.ms3d) and the Quake 3 format (.md3).