Texture "Bleeding" - How can I make it stop?

Started by
12 comments, last by T3hArtifex 20 years ago
But then you need to write your own mipmapping code, which (isn''t that hard but) seems a bit redundant... I guess it may be worth it for compatibility reasons though.
Advertisement
Not necessarily. You could simply create the mipmaps yourself.
-Ostsol
This is a different issue to the one Valve had. Valve had a problem that when enabling multi sample AA, it was possible for the a triangle to affect a pixel even though the texture sample point was outside the triangle. This can cause problems since the texture at that coord might belong to a different triangle with a completely different colour. The result is aliasing. See this pdf for more details: http://download.nvidia.com/developer/presentations/GDC_2004/D3DTutorial_Sim.pdf

The OP is just having problems with bilinear filtering, which is completely different.
As said above, it''s a pretty classic bilinear filtering problem. I''m pretty sure the guys at valve knew how bilinear filtering worked. Read up on it a bit, everything will become clear.

In short, the basic idea is that when you don''t have a 1:1 size for the picture it calculate the color value of a pixel using neighboring pixels to make an average. So when you tile textures in one file, the edge of one texture will be an avec of the pixels on your textures and of the edge of the texture right next to it.

Hope that helped, DR.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement