Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jnr

divide error

I have a C++ program that "causes a divide error" Can you tell me common causes for a divide error There is no division operator in my program, so I''m quite sure n / 0 never happens. Any suggestions? Thanks

1) run it in the debugger
2) look at the stack trace when the error happens
3) set a breakpoint on the line before the bad function
4) run the program again
5) inspect values, step through program, figure out what goes wrong

Btw: The "%" operator is often implemented in terms of "/", so "% 0" would also cause a divide error. That''s why bit masking ("&") is usually faster than modulo ("%").

I''m having trouble with the debugger in Dev-C++

I checked "generate debugging information" in Tools, Compiler Options, Settings, Linker then did rebuild all

When I choose debug from the debug menu the console comes up but doesn''t seem to do anything more than sit there. I tried pushing the buttons on the debug tab and nothing seems to happen.

the output GDB thing whatever that is says a few "prompt" "pre-prompt" "post-prompt" and there''s a "program exited with error.."

What''s my problem?

Thanks

Have you tried setting a Breakpoint at the function header, stepping through the code and using watches to see what values the variables hold as the function progresses?

alright I got a little further

I see how to step through the code now, but nothing ever appears in the console window. Is that how it''s supposed to be? How do I input, that is, reply to a cin comand?

Thanks

You have to actually step through the code. for that you use F8 or F7 i can''t remember. If you select a variable and press Ctrl+F5 you''ll mark that variable in a watch window so you can see what values it/they contain