Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UltimatumX

Help with using Microsoft Access database

I am about to begin on my first real-life programming task. It consists of creating a program in VB or C++(I will probably choose C++). The program will read two individual databases(that have interlacing information) and give the output as one. The databases are in Microsoft Access which I do not have TOO much prior experience with. I used Access once before creating a small text based game in class, but that was for HTML. Any websites that I can be directed to or any information on using Access to create this database program would be greatly appreciated, thanks. -UltimatumX

access should provide an sql interface and some sort of API that you can program to. i don't know anything about it other than from everything i've heard it's the worst database on the planet. i've programmed a lot to sybase and MySQL (the latter rocks). both provide what is essentially an SDK that you can download (libraries & header files for all your C/C++ needs). access must provide the same. though i wouldn't be surprised if you were forced to use some win32 stuff instead of nice ol socket layer stuff. but then again i don't really know that much about it, every company i've worked for has used either sybase, oracle or mysql.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on April 2, 2004 11:15:33 PM]

Thanks for the info.

The only problem is the company I am doing this for, has a completely outdated software technology and they use Access instead of MYSQL and I hope to do a good job because I may very well be able to continue to do business with them if this goes well.

Are their any Good Access Tutorials that could be used to combine Access with C++ or VB so that I could make this software?

[edited by - UltimatumX on April 2, 2004 11:23:37 PM]

quote:
Original post by Palidine
access should provide an sql interface and some sort of API that you can program to. i don''t know anything about it other than from everything i''ve heard it''s the worst database on the planet. i''ve programmed a lot to sybase and MySQL (the latter rocks). both provide what is essentially an SDK that you can download (libraries & header files for all your C/C++ needs). access must provide the same. though i wouldn''t be surprised if you were forced to use some win32 stuff instead of nice ol socket layer stuff. but then again i don''t really know that much about it, every company i''ve worked for has used either sybase, oracle or mysql.
quote]

Microsoft Access is not a server database. There is a very, very big difference between a server database and a stand alone (sometimes called embedded) database. Microsoft Access is designed for personal use; it includes a complete GUI similiar but far superior to that with MS SQL Server. A user with no programming knowledge or even knowledge of SQL can create complete databases, entry forms and reports. If you know SQL or VBA you can do more (with the VBA and its OLE access you can basically do whatever you want). As a personal database Access directly locks and opens the single database (mdb) file. If you want to work with an Access database from outside the easiest way is using ADO, which also happens to be a good way to access most other databases too (you can completely avoid properitary APIs).

As far as power Access was never designed to handle large datasets. Tables of more then 100,000 rows can cause Access to crawl on complex queries. On the other handle Access can actually do complex queries and supports a very decent amount of SQL syntax (because of the interface and wizards its actually a great tool for fast prototyping), more then can be said of MySQL, a database which only recently provided alpha support for subqueries (version 3 didn''t even support UNIONs).