Bezier curve for motion prob

Started by
11 comments, last by dmatter 20 years ago
I can draw and move objects along a bezier curve but the problem I''m having is that at curves the motion slows down and at straight parts it speed up. My curve is notated by b(u), where u is apparently the percentage along the curve. How can I replace u with t being time instead so that the speed is constand all along the curve? Thanx!
Advertisement
the short answer is that you can''t =)

your best bet is probably to determine how far you want to move each frame... then go along your bezier curve by small steps until the distance you wanted to move is reached... or something like that, but you won''t be able to find the position in one step, you''ll have to do some kind of iterations...
You need to reparameterize the curve to produce a sequence u values that result in constant motion. The basic algorithm is to create a table of u values and the corresponding distance along the curve that the u value will calculate to. The arc length can be a little tricky to compute, but i''m sure google can walk you through some of them. After you have this table filled in, go through the arc length entries, find evenly spaced values, and use the corresponding u values for animation instead of just incrementing u at a constant rate. All this can be done during some initialization routine so performance should be unaffected at runtime. Hopefully, that makes some sense, i didn''t explain it very well.
Is this how all games create smooth curved motion or is there a better way of doing it, perhaps another type of curve will do what I need?
I found a link which seems to be related to what I described:
http://gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=99623

[edited by - dmatter on April 4, 2004 1:37:13 AM]
I guess you could try cubic spline interpolation, but I don''t know offhand if it''s any easier to get constant-rate motion that way :/
You can calculate the length of a curve f(x) like this:

L = the integral from a till b of sqrt(1+(f''(x))²)

You know a (the starting position). You can seek b so that L is constant.

(I don''t know bezier curves, but this should work for all kinds of curves)
Why do my programs never work on other computers?
erm, could you explain that a little more, I dont understand where that came from at all. Although it does seem familier I think I may have seen it somewhere before on this site (but can find it now - typical)

As far as I know there isnt an exact answer (like circumference of a circle) but I supose theres a formula, or something, that can approximate.
quote:Original post by Koroljov
You can calculate the length of a curve f(x) like this:

L = the integral from a till b of sqrt(1+(f'(x))²)

You know a (the starting position). You can seek b so that L is constant.

(I don't know bezier curves, but this should work for all kinds of curves)

i see how this works... but it won't work for bezier curves... since bezier curves are parametric equations, they look something like this:

x = f(t)
y = f(t)
z = f(t)

and integrating sqrt(1+(f'(x))²) is pretty hard i think, i can't think of a way to do it off the top of my head even for the simple case of say f'(x) = x...

[edited by - SpaceDude on April 4, 2004 9:31:25 AM]
If you have a vector valued function
(f(t), g(t), h(t))
and you want each change in t to represent the same distance along the curve for the same change in t then you need find the arc length parametrization.
s = integral from L0 to L of sqrt((df/dt)^2+(dg/dt)^2+(dh/dt)^2))dt
L0 is a constant.
solve for L.
then your new curve is (f(L), g(L), h(L)) but replace L with what L is though.

[edited by - O_o on April 4, 2004 1:32:01 PM]
http://www.saccade.com/writing/graphics/RE-PARAM.PDF

[edited by - O_o on April 4, 2004 1:45:18 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement