Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for that walking spider demo...?

This topic is 4994 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I recently remembered once seeing an extremely cool demo (I think it was online: either Flash or Java) of a walking spider. Now I really need to see it again, but after googling it for 10+ minutes I couldn''t find anything. Now, basically, the spider is one of those kinds with tiny bodies and extremely long legs (here''s a small picture, one that''s not too freaky). What you do is use your mouse to move his body over 2D terrain, and as you do so, his legs move very realistically. I think it has to do with one of those inverse-kinematics problems, where given a starting point and an ending point, you have to connect a robotic arm (usually with constraints on how much each joint can move) to those two points. Anyway, I''d absolutely love seeing this little demo again, so if anyone has any clues as to where I can find it, please, please do tell me! Thanks a lot in advance, shurcooL` ---
shurcooL`

I think I have a vague memory of some animated spider in one of the old DX sdk''s. Not sure which one. Also no sure if I''m just making this up or not.

quote:
Original post by Lantz
I think I have a vague memory of some animated spider in one of the old DX sdk''s. Not sure which one. Also no sure if I''m just making this up or not.

You are correct. I believe DX 7 SDK has a spider demo, which, if I remember correctly, played music and sound effects when you clicked the spider with mouse

IK was just an additional effect of the demo - the primary point was using DirectMusic interfaces, if my memory serves me right.

-Nik

Do you by any chance mean this?

http://actionscript.org/showMovie.php?id=193

Hope that helps. There''s a LOT of very interesting script on that site, since you seem to be interested in this sort of thing...

Thanks a lot for the help, guys! I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, neither of those are the demo I was looking for. Now that I think about it more, it''s clear that my memory of it is very vague. I''m even starting to doubt I ever saw this thing, but where else could have I seen it? Oh, well, I guess this thing''ll never be found, or maybe it will be in the future. Anyway, thanks for trying guys.

---
shurcooL`