avoiding the .NET framework?

Started by
35 comments, last by graveyard filla 20 years ago
high, im using visual studio .net 2k3. anyway, my game is almost done, and im just wondering, do i HAVE to distribute the .net framework with it? (or at least provide a link to download it) is there anyway around this? i mean, this is rediculous if i have to distrubute a 30 meg file with my game which is only 3 megs by itself.theres no way im going to do that, so do i really have to open all my files in the crappily old VC 6 and compile? also, does anyone think this might be dangerous? as in, some things that work with the .net compiler might be different with the VC 6 compiler? thanks for any help or suggestions!
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
Does your program use the .NET framework?

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
If you are not using any of the .NET framework then no, you do not need .NET. Make sure that the managed flag is not set with the compiler. The resulting executable should be in native machine code.
Visual Studio .NET 2003 is just an IDE that supports .NET framework but you don''t necessarily have to compile your game as a .NET application.
Hopefully, at some point everyone will have a copy of the .NET framework installed already. Probably when Longhorn is released.
Even if your program does require the framework, I wouldn''t redist the framework with it unless you are actually shipping CDs. If it''s up for download, just provide a link to the MS download site.

Look at the way it''s done for the SharpReader RSS Aggregator.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
hmmm..... ok, im confused now. i guess i dont understand what the .NET framework is? so what is the .NET framework? my code just uses SDL and regular C++ libarries. i guess i just dont know what the framework is.
If you''re just using sdl and c++ libs you''re fine - only if you use the .net namespaces and libraries (like System.Drawing, or System.Threading etc etc) you''d need to worry.

I wouldnt recommend the using .net to make games - if you use sdl and c++ your games will be more easily ported to other platforms.

ok, no im not using any of that stuff. i dont even know what it is. so the .NET framework is a bunch of libraries you can use?
quote:Original post by nmoog
I wouldnt recommend the using .net to make games - if you use sdl and c++ your games will be more easily ported to other platforms.

A large number of projects are dedicated to developing a cross platform implementation of the .NET framework. Mono and .GNU come to mind. A cross platform and mature .NET implementation should be coming reasonably soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement