Another beginner question - don't not read this one

Started by
16 comments, last by roark04 20 years ago
some advice is to go to your local book seller and browse through varioius books. This is more important with DirectX (I have over 6 books) because some books are stronger in some areas and weak in others.

As a side note, learn pointers and memory management. they are the most important thing to game programming as the compiler.
"Not all who wander are lost."- J.R.R. Tolkien
Advertisement
I am learning with C++ Primer Plus Second Edition by Stephen Prata. I know there is a newer version out now but it is a good book and takes into account that you may know nothing about Programming howerver, some programming experience will make concepts easier. Also the C++ Primer Plus books follow the most current ANSI C++ Standard that existed when the book was written.
My JournalComputer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter. (Eric Raymond)"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes itharder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."-- Bjarne Stroustrup
Im currently reading Wiley''s Teach yourself C++ 7th addition. It is fairly easy to understand so far and it comes with a compiler. However the compiler lacks a fw functions like Wchar_t wc; (makes your characters wider) but there are ones on the internet you can download. (www.bloodshed.net has some nice free compilers)
Hm... It looks like what we have here is an Id-10-T error.
The ''in 21 days'' books aren''t so bad. I learned C in 21 days, then read Thinking in C++. Clear as crystal, and I''m 14

The true general first seeks victory, then seeks battle
- Sun Tzu
i learnt my c++ from tutorials off the net like others have said, just search for ''C++ tutorials'' or something on those lines and u''ll be bound to find something thats good to learn the basics or even (like my luck) an entire web book about 200 pages on MS Word !!
just search the web...
the_moo
I think you'll find at least two good book recommendations for beginners of C++ here.

[edited by - tiffany_smith on April 13, 2004 2:40:37 AM]
'Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 Days', i know everyone always says to stay away from the "teach yourself xxx in 21 days/hours/minutes", thats mostly true but this book is pretty straightforward and he does a good job of explaining everything. just dont get any book saying it can teach you C/C++ in 10 minutes or a day because that would take a miracle.

also this book comes with MSVC++ 6.0 Introductory so you dont have to search around on the web for a crappy free compiler, the only problem with this is that you cant send your programs to anyone with this edition (the programs only work on your computer) which is rather gay but its better than nothin i guess.

~aussie

[edited by - James Sioutis on April 13, 2004 3:14:54 AM]
[~aussie]
I''m reading thinking in c++ right now (bought it off amazon) and I think its great - so thanks to you guys who recommended to me. The cd that comes with it is nice too .. It''s a lot easier to learn like that (with reading and audio explanation). Oh yeah and dev C++ works great too except it locks up every once in a while which is frustating - but i guess thats what you get with beta.

matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement