should i bother learning asm

Started by
16 comments, last by SKREAMZ 20 years ago
If you become a professional games programmer, you have no idea what CPU the target machine will be running then.

So don''t learn ASM for a specific CPU. Particularly, don''t learn intel asm (it is complicated and sucks).

Your next game could be for PS3 or XBOX2 - who knows what they''ll be running (the latter possibly PowerPC, but probably not intel).

I believe that the amount of assembler required in modern games is small, and it''s only added at the final stage (someone please back me up on this one; I am a mere amateur)

Mark
Advertisement
ASM is what you use if you want to use special instructions that the compiler doesn''t know about.

You should have a grasp on how assembler looks and how to write it.
I wouldn''t bother being able to write super-sophisticated programs in it.
~V'lionBugle4d
quote:Original post by SKREAMZ
i already have 6 years experience and at 21 im already a part time teacher teaching c++ & java in my local college, so thats taken care of so where would be the best place to learn asm as i did a google search came up with a few pages of tutorials but they all seem to be 7+ years old and aimed at dos.

I''m really not trying to be mean or anything, but unless any of the 6 years was commercial, you have 0 years experience. No disrespect, and seeing as how you''re teaching you''re probably pretty decent, but most companies don''t care about anything other then commercial experience. Just a warning...

As for assembly, the best advice I ever received on the subject was "learn it, but just don''t use it"
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
thanks guys been a great help, ive decieded to learn assembly(god help me).
Blaaaaa Blaaaa Blaa errrrr!!!! Bla?
Be ready to pull out all your hair!
Don''t learn Perl! It''s only good for people who don''t know the difference between progressing and regressing. Lua or Python are good choices for a high[er]-level language if you want to learn one. I don''t think it really matters what order you learn your languages in, what matters is that you actually learn them, not just learn them until you think you know them.
quote:So don''t learn ASM for a specific CPU. Particularly, don''t learn intel asm (it is complicated and sucks).

I think you mean to say that IA32''s ISA sucks. And it does.
If you learn asm you can refer to C++ as "high-level" that one''ll get you respect

The true general first seeks victory, then seeks battle
- Sun Tzu

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement