should i bother learning asm

Started by
16 comments, last by SKREAMZ 20 years ago
to become a professional game programmer should i learn asm with all these high level languages out there, if yes where would be the best place to learn. thanks
Blaaaaa Blaaaa Blaa errrrr!!!! Bla?
Advertisement
Short answer: Not really. I guess ASM is a bonus, but it''s rarely an essential to become a professional game developer.
Yes, you should learn ASM if you wan''t to become pro. You have to know what''s going on in the code if you wan''t to get full performance out of it.

EasyGL - easy to use graphics library.
EasyGL - easy to use graphics library.
To be a professional programmer you should know some assembly but I wouldn''t start there. You should know C and C++ quite well first and then learn how to embedded assembly in C/C++ source, and also how to link in object files created with an assembler.

You should learn higher level languages too, Lisp seems to a cult favorite around here though it''s not one of mine. Python and Perl come highly recommended. You should probably have a look at C# or maybe Java too, just to keep those options open.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
i already have 6 years experience and at 21 im already a part time teacher teaching c++ & java in my local college, so thats taken care of so where would be the best place to learn asm as i did a google search came up with a few pages of tutorials but they all seem to be 7+ years old and aimed at dos.
Blaaaaa Blaaaa Blaa errrrr!!!! Bla?
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
You should know C and C++ quite well first and then learn how to embedded assembly in C/C++ source

Once upon a time I was programming in QBASIC. It was slow, so I decided to learn C. I tried, with and without books, but it was too hard and weird. To be able to make faster programs I learned assembly (with the book The Art of Assembly). For some reason assembly was very clean and easy to understand -- but it was quite impossible to make any bigger programs with it. Back to C.

Now, when I knew assembly, everything in C suddenly made sense (pointers especially). With help of Linux 0.1 and Quake2 sources, I quickly learned to program in C. Knowing what's going on under the hood has also helped me learning C++.

The morals of my unnecessarily long and boring story:
- It's possible, and sometimes easier, to go asm->C/C++
- As Atm97fin said, you'll probably be able to use the language more effectively if you know assembly (especially C/C++ which are still quite low-level)

[edited by - nonpop on April 4, 2004 12:05:43 PM]
If you want to get ''respect'' around here real quick, learn ASM.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
I bought "Assembly Language step-by-step" book a long time ago. I havn''t had a chance to really get into it yet, but it seems to be a really good book. Might be worth checking in to.

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions
|Designing A Screen Shot System|

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
Just be familiar with assembly basics. Know what registers are, and what each one is used for in typical cases. Learn basics instructions like mov, jmp, cmp, etc. You don''t need to be an assembly expert, but if someone shows you a small block of assembly code it''s nice to have a basic idea of what''s going on.
yeah, I recommend assembly language step-by-step, was a great book!

I fully agree with nonpop that to understand why c/c++ works the way it works you should learn assembly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement