Game designing "Do and Don'ts"

Started by
44 comments, last by red_sodium 19 years, 11 months ago
For large projects featuring OOP,

DO draw/sketch the game architecture (it helps a lot).
DO write checkpoints on classes needed to be implemented, one after the other and do them in that order... While bearing in mind: not to implement a class relying on a succeeder.
Advertisement
Can u tell me what are some programs to make games???
people might disagree with me here but..
do think of your own solutions before you just open up a tutorial and start copying/pasting. if you have an understanding of the basics you can probably make your own solution with a bit of thought. figuring out things for yourself is better than just doing what someone else said without giving it a second thought. if you try to solve it yourself you''ll probably get a result which may or may not be perfect but then when you do read tutorials/articles you''ll have a better understanding of what they are actually doing and why it''s better (or if it actually is better) than the alternatives.. at least that''s how it works for me. and who knows, you might think up some really good original way of solving a problem.

When you find yourself bringing your code up in your IDE and just staring at it wondering what to do next, stop, get some paper, and write down a list of things that need doing. Then start ticking them off, one by one.
Please get your own thread and identity, Anonymous Poster, so as not to raise threads from the dead and scare us all!

Aside from that, how do you plan on making your games? If by programming, give yourself a year to learn everything you need (minimum) before taking on any serious projects. My guess is about 2 years, since you don''t seem to even know anything about the concept of programming.

Here''s a diagram for you, decide where along the line you fit:

Flexible

^ Program a game using a language like C++ with DX/OpenGL
| Make Flash or java games
| Use DarkBasic
| Use Multimedia Fusion (http://www.clickteam.com)
| Use Klik ''n'' Play or GameMaker (clickteam.com again)
v

Easy to use

And that''s not going to the full extremes, of course.

Stay Clausal,

Red Sodium
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
They still make Klik ''n Play? Heh, that was my first foray into game programming back when I was 8 or so back in Windows 3.1! Pretty good place to start IMHO.
----Erzengel des Lichtes光の大天使Archangel of LightEverything has a use. You must know that use, and when to properly use the effects.♀≈♂?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement