the physics of sonic the hedgedog

Started by
9 comments, last by Neoshaman 20 years ago
hello, i seeking to see or to programm a character who would have the same ability as sonic''s contol. I mean, how to make my character fit each curve of the land based on velocity and matrix all wall and roof with velocity, i don''t see for some reason how this work in a 2D platform setting, i don''t see how collision is handla that the move are so smooth and natural and believable how i can make a sonic kind of control ??? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> be good be evil but do it WELL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Advertisement
they just find the closest normal.
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
expand the thought.... and how the control actually allow the ''matrix'' on the wall (you can event run on roof inversed)if your velocity is high??

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
if you look closely all they are doing is rotating sonic about a specific axis. if you notice all the curves in the game have the same arc. they just keep rotating so long as velocity is above a certin point. i have''nt had much sleep so i don''t know if that makes any sense or not.
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
well, i think it''s best to told about like if we would implement it in code, but i''m still confuse, i think that the solution is not that difficult but i can''t put a single neuron it for some reason...argh, i''m still thinking in common platform physics and all things is not that clear

what you says doesnot cover the whole question, how sonic keep running in wall that is vertical or reverse (roof) or in any shape, how do the collision in tile base environnement work so perfectly with angle and curve, how do gravity is affect by movement and velocity and other force as well

thanks for the reply however

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
i don''t know much about the sonic physics but if the game uses the normals for the rolling around then you could just keep testing to see if the normal is within a close enough range to his last position. if the tile is way off (say a 90 degree wall, which is a 90 degree difference in normal angles as well) then obviously he can''t roll up that so you could just make him smack into it and stop.

but i''m just going by what Cibressus said so i could have misunderstood.
I''m not so sure. First of all (in the later Sonic games at least) the radii of the arcs aren''t the same. Also I think it works something like this, although I''m not in a particularly good position to know.

There are two basic states of movement. The normal one is running. When Sonic runs there isn''t much physics going on it''s all a big hack(well that''s what I think is most likely). He is effectively following a predefined path defined by the level designer. The player in this mode has control of the speed and that''s about it. However when Sonic jumps he obeys the normal physics of a particle, until he hits a solid path, when he returns to the running state. Now different things can trigger the particle mode, say running too slow on an upturned surface, or simply running off the end of a ledge.

I''m pretty certain that would account for all the basic movement in Sonic. Basically the levels are defined as surfaces he can run along. That would also fit with when the games went slightly wrong and you got stuck under the map, the behaviour then would fit with this sort of system.
Interesting! I''ve often asked myself this question about this specific video game... Sonic''s 2D adventures were amazing in terms of percieved physics and featuresets. I think the "faking" scenario portrayed in the post above, as much as it shatters my childhood perceptions of the game, is probably the most realistic... (I mean, could they really have done as many physics calculations as it would''ve needed on an old [18mHz? Possibly lower?] machine?)
-Vendal Thornheart=) Programming for a better tomorrow... well,for a better simulated tomorrow. ;)
Also the fact that it doesn''t follow the laws of physics at all should have been a clue.

I think the 2D Sonic games are probably the best made ever. The best in the series is Sonic and Knuckles connected to Sonic 3 in my opinion. The physics are perfect for the domain of Sonic and the artwork was spot on. Anyone who didn''t complete it with all the Hyper-Emeralds, or whatever the best ones were, with all the characters should be shunned!! And don''t get me started on Mario.

I''m just starting to wonder where my MegaDrive got to, I probably still have it somewhere......
thanks for the reply

i realize that the thing that really bother me is how to make a character walk and follow the land in his most convulate form,

i don''t know how to create a control that a character could walk on roof as well as wall,

i think i''m too deep in normal planar physic that i can''t even do it

but i''m asking about HOW to IMPLEMENT this rather that how it work, i want concrete method

thanks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement