Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does fmod only do 3D sound with wave files?

This topic is 5001 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First, the reason I''m posting in the directx forum is that in the FMOD documentation it says that FMOD gives you access to directsound transparently, so I am using directsound through FMOD, so this is the proper forum. Does fmod only do 3D sound with wave files? It doesn''t seem to explicitly say this anywhere in the documentation, but it just plain doesn''t work when I try to do it with an mp3

I don''t know about FMod in particular but if you''re using DirectSound it shouldn''t matter what the original source was. For the most part everything gets converted to PCM data when it gets written to the sound buffer so it should make no difference. I''d encourage you to try using DirectSound directly (ha ha) rather than using FMod and I''d also suggest checking out ogg vorbis as an alternative to MP3. Using the Microsoft common code from the SDK as a base and the vorbis file sample code I got something up and running in a few hours.