Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please help im a newbie

This topic is 5006 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i posted this same question in the beginner''s section yesterday but only got one reply, i was wondering if you''s can help me here. i was wondering if you could tell me the essential maths for game programming, i know vectors and matrices are important but what else. is there any good websites out there with math tutorials or good math books, they dont need to be complete foundation, i can pick things up pretty well thanks for reading sie

Guest Anonymous Poster
you need to know from algebra to trigonometry.ou can go to math.com for help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Try to narrow down the question a bit, and maybe you''ll get a useful answer.

well i know how to do algebra. trig i''m no good at, is that really important?
i''m just looking for a site that gives tutorials on a wide range on maths really
sorry if that doesn''t narrow the question down. the fact is i''ve always found maths a bit boring, im just looking for something that may change my mind and actually start enjoying it. All of the thousands of game programmers who love maths cant be wrong. i''ve got the will to learn and try to enjoy it i just wanna know of any good sites or books to help me do this

Taking it from me, you don't need to learn trig as in take a class on it in school. I never did, i picked it up while learning about other concepts that use it. It's really quite simple and shouldn't take a whole class to teach. Yes, as soon as you start reaading about linear algebra (mats and vecs) you're going to get into trig, especially with 3D graphics. I recommend getting a small 100 page book on it. Basically all you're doing is memorizing identities which are later used to derive higher formulas and solve problems. The first thing i learned about trig was in geometry: "SOHCAHTOA." Basically an acronym for memorizing fundamental side ratios-angle relationships w/in right triangles. If you start reading a vector tutorial, they're probably going to get into cross and dot products, which to be useful, one needs to know the trig behind them. So, basically learn the trig you need, which is pretty much all of it, but there isn't a lot of it.

For articles and tuts, start here at gamedev. Do a search:
GameDev Articles and Resources. "Vectors" and/or "Matrices" would return helpful items.

[edited by - temp_ie_cant_thinkof_name on April 4, 2004 5:28:48 PM]

yeah i''ve made a few 2d games that had no more math then general common sense and a bit of simple algebra but there is no point in making these simple games forever. instead of having somebody move it would be nice to get them to accelerate
faster and faster in their movement. just one more question if thats ok. i''ve been learning sines, tangents and stuff but what are they to games, they are no more to me then just nonsense formulas
thanks a million for all of your advice

you need to relate trig to angles, like how to rotate things like guns to point towards a target (i.e. find the angle). Finding the slope of the floor under a player, ... it''s usually easier if you draw your problem on a piece of paper, then you can visualise how to use the proper math tools (trigonometry, vector maths).

in the Article&Resources section, there are a few articles on simple vector maths, a good introduction to a most useful tool for game physics.