Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Combining different lighting methods

This topic is 4999 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i want to implement per-pixel lighting in my indoor game engine. My current lighting consists only of static lightmaps. So, i use two textures, one decal, which is then modulated by the lightmap texture. But if i use per pixel lihgting, i still want to have my lightmaps for static lights. So how would i render? First the lightmaps and then the pixel shader? Or vice versa? Additionaly, if i use bump mapping for the walls, how can i do this with lightmaps? I know that bump mapping combines the normal map with the decal texture, but how is then the lightmap applied? Before or after bumpmapping? thanks Gammastrahler

Half-Life 2 employs a technique that's called "Radiosity Normal Mapping". There, they combine radiosity light maps with normal maps to achieve the exact same effect you're looking for.

The techpaper (called Advanced Visual Effects with Direct3D - Half-Life2_Shading - GDC 2004) describing this technique can be found here :-

http://www.ati.com/developer/techpapers.html

[edited by - poly-gone on April 4, 2004 10:50:02 PM]