Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C# Books

This topic is 4999 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are some good C# programming books that are good for newbies? I want ones that focas manly on Visual C#/Studio .Net cause I''ll be using Visual Studio .Net 2003. Also, please tell me if the books teach you how to create DOS or Windows applications if you can. Thanks in advance!

I really enjoyed the Deitels book. C# How to Program. It covers both console and windows apps which I found very useful. And its geared towards VS .Net 2003. It is expensive though.

Amazon = $85.00 new or 51.50 used.

quote:
Original post by Dark X PSX
What about the Sams Teach Yourself series? Any of their books worth reading?

Thanks!

To be quite honest with you that is probably the worst series I have seen.

Here are the only three I would recommend at all:

1.) The C# Programming Language (from the creator of the C# lang. and probably the best on the subject)
2.) Dietel & Dietel C#
3.) C# Cookbook (surprisingly was a good book)

You could always just subscribe to safari.informit.com for $14.99 / month and read off your monitor or print them out. You can read both book #1 and #3 that I listed... there is also a free trial for the site.

I personally have read about 40 books on that site =]

[edited by - Imperil on April 5, 2004 4:08:50 PM]

I was thinking about signing up for that, but I''m gonna wait a while before I do that. I''ll go to my friend''s house, sign up, and save all the books I want to read on his computer. He has Cable and I don''t have any type of internet access at all at the moment. Thanks for the idea though :-)

I''ve thumbed through the Deitel one and own their C# for Experienced programmers and would definitely recommend them both (whichever depending on your experience).

Wrox Beginning C# Programming is very good and very vast in the topics covered. I learned to be very fluent with C# through that book however, it does not cover Multi-Threading but I learned that off of MSDN. It also starts you off with Console apps and then works its way up to Windows Apps once you get some OOP concepts down pat. All of the Basic foundation of the lang is tought through console apps however.

[edited by - TheNobleOne on April 7, 2004 4:22:28 PM]

I was able to find most of the books on the internet. I found a few at www.programmers-unlimited.com

I''m gonna get the Deitel books from the library and read them.

Thanks for the help guys :-)