• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3d Map of Atlantic Ocean

This topic is 5134 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am developing a multimedia application in which the user may tour the bottom of the northern Atlantic Ocean (roughly the area between eastern shore U.S. and Europe), and I was wondering if anybody had some ideas about converting from radar topography maps to a rendered 3D output. I remember a few months ago there was an article here about converting from NASA topogrpahy maps of Mars to a rendered 3D outpute of Mar''s entire surface -- can''t seem to find it! Any thoughts are welcomed.

Advertisement
depends what format your original topography is in... by that i mean - vector or raster.

If its just a greyscale (or similar) heightmap type dataset, then it''s trivially a case of taking each height and rendering it... For a large data set, you''re biggest challenge will be to manage the visible region / culling the large number of triangles that you can''t see..

If its'' vector-based data, you need to have some way of taking an abitrary 2D point and calcualting the height - probably some sort of "in-and-out" type line tracing algorithm should do the trick, I looked into doing this for British OS maps (contour lines as vectors), was hard, but possible.

hth
Jack

• Advertisement