Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moonwalka

3d Map of Atlantic Ocean

I am developing a multimedia application in which the user may tour the bottom of the northern Atlantic Ocean (roughly the area between eastern shore U.S. and Europe), and I was wondering if anybody had some ideas about converting from radar topography maps to a rendered 3D output. I remember a few months ago there was an article here about converting from NASA topogrpahy maps of Mars to a rendered 3D outpute of Mar''s entire surface -- can''t seem to find it! Any thoughts are welcomed.

depends what format your original topography is in... by that i mean - vector or raster.

If its just a greyscale (or similar) heightmap type dataset, then it''s trivially a case of taking each height and rendering it... For a large data set, you''re biggest challenge will be to manage the visible region / culling the large number of triangles that you can''t see..

If its'' vector-based data, you need to have some way of taking an abitrary 2D point and calcualting the height - probably some sort of "in-and-out" type line tracing algorithm should do the trick, I looked into doing this for British OS maps (contour lines as vectors), was hard, but possible.

hth
Jack