DirectPlay Problems: NAT , etc..

Started by
4 comments, last by Agemaniac 20 years ago
Hi im having problem developin a multiplayer game with directplay. so, i got some questions: 1) i have a p2p aplication, how can i make sure that packet send by B and C arrives in A in the order that they are sended??if player B sends before C how can i program a code to know that packet from B should be interpreted before packet form C 2) can i use NatResolver with p2p? does it work? 3) what is the difference between natResolver and natHelp? 4) how can i use NATResolver and NATHelp? can i use then in the same program?... 5) if i have to use client/server how can i hold host migration? Thanks...!! [edited by - Agemaniac on April 5, 2004 9:22:01 AM]
Advertisement
any help?
bump
quote:Original post by Agemaniac
1) i have a p2p aplication, how can i make sure that packet send by B and C arrives in A in the order that they are sended??if player B sends before C how can i program a code to know that packet from B should be interpreted before packet form C

Maybe by using a timestamp in your packets? But in a p2p game it may be more complicated because you have to synchronize all the machines. Maybe the timestamp could correspond to your game clock (it should already be the same for all the machines)?

You are using a locked step system, aren''t you?

quote:Original post by Agemaniac
5) if i have to use client/server how can i hold host migration?

What do you mean?

-nosfy
Lead programmer
Creation Objet Inc.
Hum..cant understand what you try to say in the first question. Im a noob in directplay and network programming. dont know what is a lock step system ..really.

Host Migration: if the host lost connection, is it possible to continue the game? (migrating the host, like in p2p).
for sure, client/server doesn't support host migration, bcoz this event just does not exist ! cheers

oops, event is more on .net terms, anyway, in C++ i think it doesn't support either.

[edited by - wingcom on April 12, 2004 7:57:07 AM]
Nothing to do, try complimenting someone, it will make you feel better!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement