Texture Palettes and Chipsets

Started by
2 comments, last by Dov Sherman 20 years ago
I have discovered that some video cards support paletted textures and some do not. I know how to detect that and handle it appropriately. But I have also discovered that some video cards which support paletted textures will only support one palette while others will support a great number. How do I detect the maximum number of palettes supported by a video chipset?
Advertisement
I''m not aware of any limit on the number of palettes. If you''ve found one it is likely a driver bug, which would hardly be surprising considering how poorly supported paletted textures are. They are so rarely (and poorly) supported that I wouldn''t recommend wasting your time with them.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
quote:Original post by DrunkenHyena
I''m not aware of any limit on the number of palettes. If you''ve found one it is likely a driver bug, which would hardly be surprising considering how poorly supported paletted textures are. They are so rarely (and poorly) supported that I wouldn''t recommend wasting your time with them.

Normally, I''d just stick with truecolor images but I''m developing a viewing application for a pre-existing format which uses paletted images. I can simulate palette support for video cards which don''t have palettes but that takes 4 times the amount of video memory and we''re talking about files that often have 50Mb of texture data in index-paletted form. So I''m developing the display as a dual-system: palettes when available, truecolor when palettes are not supported.
The problem is that sometimes they may be available but not be (properly) supported. There''s no CAPS to check for a buggy driver. You would end up having to maintain a list of cards and driver revisions that you''ve successfully test palettes with.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement