Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Basic Stamp programming

This topic is 4999 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As I think I understand it - a programmer can write a program to a BASIC STAMP; which can then be used to control hardware devices, like on an autonomous robot. 1 - What program compiles the code? It couldn''t be a regular compiler like .NET? 2 - Do stamps come with a USB cable for downloading the program? If not how does it do so? 3 - I once heard you could also (if clever enough) use a PDA to do the same activities as the stamp; and that it would even be more powerful. How and why?

My understanding is that every Basic Stamp comes with its own code editor that will compile and upload the code to the stamp. Similarly, every Basic Stamp may have a different connector to the PC. AFAIK, both parallel and serial cables are used.

As for using a PDA instead of a stamp, I can''t imagine that working well. A microcontroller needs relatively good timing, which doesn''t seem easy to achieve if you offload logic like that. It''s more plausible to consider a PDA connected to an existing microcontroller rather than replacing the microcontroller. Of course, technology has suprised me before.