Mesh size and the Panda .X exporter

Started by
7 comments, last by Dodzilla 20 years ago
Hello, I''ve been playing around with using the Panda .X exporter (and the MS version although I''ve had better sucess with Panda) and I''m having no luck controlling the size of the exported model. I''m a software engineer, not an artist, so I have only basic knowledge of 3DS Max but when I scale the model within Max it seems to have no affect on the exported Mesh. Anybody have any advice? I''d rather get it right using Max and the .X exporter than have to scale everything at run-time.
Advertisement
up
Look, I don''t want to sound like a jerk but...just scale it up in Max!

Ta da!!!
OK, smart arse poster just read your message poperly and will now go and jump off a cliff...

Hut hum....

sorry

When you create an object in 3ds it define the coordinates of each vertice.

Scaling the object doesn''t affect to this coordinate. (are always the same which is applied *your scale* multiplier)

If you are exporting the mesh with the Panda "No frame" check on, you will lost the scale info.

If you check the others check boxs, it will export the info, but,,, you need to deal into you code with the scale multiplier

Hope this help,,
I see, so I should have a matrix somewhere in the .X file that will hopefully contain the correct scale information. I''ll play with the exporter and the settings a little more, thanks for the help!
I''ve tried exporting my mesh with various options in the Panda exporter but I''m still not seeing any scale information in the .X file. To test it I scaled the object up in Max then exported it, then I scaled it down and exported it. I ran a diff on the two .X files and they were virtually identical other than what appeared to be slight rounding differences in a couple places. I''m exporting the mesh with the "Sub-frame Hierarchy" option. It''s a rigged and skinned mesh and I''m using Max 5.0 with the 5.0 version of the exporter. I know the Max 6.0 version of the exporter is more current but I read (on this forum, I beieve) that skinning is broken when using Max 5.1+ with the exporter and I need absolutely need the skinning info. Any thoughts?
Scale info is exported under the FrameTransformMatrix template.
Make a sphere, scale it *ie. 127
Export to .x file as text.
Open in a notepad and look in the FrameTransformMatrix.
It will export the matrix.
Look for 1.27.. this is the scale info.
Skinned exported are fixed. (i dont know if only for 6.x)
Thanks, I tried the 6.0 version of the exporter and it''s exporting the scale information now. A word of warning to anyone trying to scale then export a skinned mesh: scale the mesh BEFORE you skin it. For some reason attempting to scale in Max after skinning the model results in mangled skinweights in the exported .X file that will render your mesh unrecognizable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement