Feedback on skill system?

Started by
31 comments, last by Wavinator 20 years ago
What kind of timeframe are we looking at, gameplay-wise, Wavinator? Will this game span years, as Escape Velocity did? I'd bet that if your crew members had been working for a decade or so, they'd definitely be faced with skill decay. Perhaps 10% is more appropriate than the 25% I suggested, but I'd still like to see it in there.

After all, We're giving people the ability to learn and even master complex elecronic maintenance during the course of the game. I doubt you could really get awesome at plasma conduit repair in a week or two of on-the-job training.

I'd like to be able to hire people who are currently engineers, but they did a tour of duty in the military after graduation, and still know their way around a phased plasma rifle if TSHTF. If you need a new chief of security, you could have a navigator who was a Sgt. in the Mobile Infantry bone up on his protocols and take over.

quote:Original post by SiCrane
A former navy seal described the process to me.
After some research, I owe you an apology. But due to the complex set of technological, situational and optional factors that have to align for this technique to be used, I recommend that it not be included in the targetting system of the game. For reference, see this thread at TheHighRoad.org.

Edited once for content and once for their->there. For shame!

[edited by - Iron Chef Carnage on April 16, 2004 11:51:01 AM]
Advertisement
>> I''ve stolen the combat calculation method of Civilization

That''s always a good way to start. Tell me how the lawsuit goes!
quote:Original post by Wavinator

quote:
Raising skills: The learning curve should be (very) steep for the first (few) point and then get a bit less steep for a while and then steeper and steeper. Example: It''s very difficult to learn to read if you don''t even know the letters, but it gets easier after a while. When you''re good it''s very hard to learn something new because you already know so much.

As a player which would you want more: Starting characters that are easier to train with the little cash you have, or a more realistic training system?

Good point.. Ok how about this.. when you "create" the character you can select some skills that he will already have training in. I think that to learn something he has never done before should be expensive, but that''s for things like teaching a pilot to be a sniper, ie "multiclassing" the character.

Another thing: Related skills could work together. Example: Increasing "Pilot Fighter" could also increase "Pilot nananaa" by 10% or so and vice versa. This idea is from the RuneQuest system my GM uses. "Short sword", "long sword" and "fire poker" are different skills, but when you get better in one you also get a little better with the others, since they''re not *that* different.

quote:
quote:
One system of difficulty of raising skills I''ve seen and liked is the RuneQuest/Call of Chtuluh PnPRPG system (possibly modified )

Thx! This gives me ideas!

Cool! I''ll pass it along to my GM

quote:
quote:
Experience rating (green,vet,elite etc): I don''t quite get this. If it If a character has a high score in a ability then it follows that he''s also experienced. It''s illogical that an elite who has 100 in shooting has an advantage over a green with 300 in shooting (At least I think he has - probability/statistical math is not my strong side ). The one with 300 is the better shot. Perhaps it would be better to call it a "pressure under fire" modifier or something.

Yes, maybe the name should be changed, but that was essentially the difference: Having book knowledge and simulator training, versus actual training. I can also make this make more sense if I skill cap certain combat skills by experience rank, so that Elites couldn''t have less than Greens.

Hmm.. Maybe you could have experience rank on the individual skills. If this is what you''ve been meaning all along, sorry.. I thought you meant general ranks...
Someone with a lot of actual experience can very well do better than someone with a lot of book knowledge and simulator training but no combat experience.
Someone with high skill but low experience in that skill will probably outperform someone with low skill and high experience when both are without stress/distractions. On the other hand, the experienced person might very well win over the skilled person in combat.

This could probably also be worked into something similar to skill decay.. Maybe drop "experience points" in the skill instead of skill points. To use Jamaludin''s example: He probably *knows* how the moves should be made, and could probably do the individual moves, but since he hasn''t breakdanced in 4 months he''s no longer able to "perform under pressure" - combine all the individual moves into an impressive breakdance performance. He can train himself to the level he had earlier, and since he knows the moves it will probably take less time than it took the first time.
- It''s easier to "forget" how to aim a rifle quickly than to "forget" how to aim a rifle at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement