Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dynamic MMORPG world

This topic is 5004 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How about a world which is totally void empty space until a player visits it, so the world is of infinite size, so u can conquer a map and dethrone a king and take his kingdom. but the server will create this world when u come into it from another map, itll autogenerate it and save it for when u come back or when another user visits it. So every time u visit a differnt place as u explore this world, and it would randomly create places like wildernesses and volcano areas with fire monster and so. the difficulty will be varied but u can turn back to an easiers map if you want, and some hard map would have safe roads to walk across so that u can keep on advancing.

quote:
Original post by jlebrech
so the world is of infinite size, so u can conquer a map and dethrone a king and take his kingdom. but the server will create this world when u come into it from another map, itll autogenerate it and save it for when u come back..
{Sound of reality hammering on the door demanding to come in} To save a map that can be infinite size you need infinite storage.

I think the old adage should be updated for the net generation, to something like "put your brain in gear before opperating a forum".

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions (www.obscure.co.uk)
Game Development & Design consultant

[edited by - obscure on April 5, 2004 4:42:05 AM]

you wouldn''t need to save it if you just kept the same random seed that you used to procedurally generate it in the first place. The reason his idea got slayed on by Oluseyi is because it is very vague and very huge of an idea. The infinite map does not need to be saved. It needs only an algorithm to generate it.
And I think OP was talking about having the world sectioned off into different maps that are of limited space. Each time you finish a map, you move onto the next one, which is generated when you reach it. You dont even really have to save the previous maps, only the information about who is ruling them. The random seed that is chosen would generate the same map all the time.

Yeah that should better with just the seed, but you might want to work together on the same map and kill the same enemies so more info might be required.

and if the worldsize is based on the number of people playing/exploring it would be very small at first and the servers would have to be upgraded dependent on the number of players.

You could even have sea and water to stop players from overbloating the server if they explore too much, and and the world gets a bit too big it would create a shore around the players who would then need the use boats to travel to new worlds.

Although I do agree that a, um... How did you word it?...
quote:
"...A world which is totally void empty space until a player visits it, so the world is of infinite size ... The server will create this world when you come into it from another map, it''ll autogenerate it and save it for when you come back or when another user visits it ... It would randomly create places like wildernesses and volcano areas with fire monster and so [on]."
...is something of a Pie in the Sky, the general concept of dynamic worlds is one I''ve put a great deal of thought into as a designer. For ongoing discussion about how worlds can one day be more dynamic at the character level, check out my post in the AI forum: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=213969

There are also existing games the use randomly generated world maps (Diablo, Civilization, etc), and there''s no reason to think this area won''t continue to progress. I doubt something as vast as what you''re proposing is going to come about in the next couple of decades, but maybe someday things will begin to fall in place.

The next question to ask, though, is that of worth... of entertainment value vs. development cost. How much fun are people going to have in a world generated entirely by a computer? Well, maybe plenty, if its done right. Or maybe it''ll suffer from Black & White Syndrome: "Gee, that''s the coolest thing I''ve ever seen! But now I''m bored. Where''s Counterstrike?"

Just something to consider.

Brian Lacy
ForeverDream Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?

"I create. Therefore I am."