Redistributing with Dx9.0 and C#.net

Started by
10 comments, last by Rjhenry3 20 years ago
I am having trouble redistributing my games to people who do not have the SDK installed on their machine. Everyone who tried it downloaded the newest .net framework and the newest directx 9 version from msdn. My guess is that somehow they need some files from the sdk to be given them when I distribute the game. I have read some other posts similar to this one, but none I have read give any real answer, does anyone know what needs to be done? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Obvious Guy asks, "Are you build in Release mode?"

And have you selected the appropriate runtime libraries (under build options)?
You need to install directx with the flag /InstallManagedDX.
(ex: dxsetup.exe /InstallManagedDX).

If you dont. The managed runtimes wont be installed.
_________________________ www.leXor.net
None of the DX setup files I tried accept /InstallManagedDX as an option. I first tried the option with the dx90update_redist.exe file from microsoft. And then also with the dxwebsetup.exe. If you are referencing a different directx setup file let me know what it is and where I can find it please.

In addition yes I did build them in release mode, but the application I gave them always gave the same error

[edited by - Rjhenry3 on April 5, 2004 12:07:24 PM]
I''ve had to run the dx90update_redist.exe and then package my application in a VS.NET setup project referencing the project output from my application to have it copy over the libraries properly. You could always copy the Managed DirectX DLLs into the same directory as your exe. I''m not sure if there''s an easier way to get at the DLLs, but I''ve always opened a command prompt, gone into the windows\assembly\gac directory, then into, say, the Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3d directory, into the highest version number directory (1.xxxxx), and then copied out the DLL file. Hope this helps.
quote:I first tried the option with the dx90update_redist.exe file from microsoft. And then also with the dxwebsetup.exe. If you are referencing a different directx setup file let me know what it is and where I can find it please.

dx90update_redist.exe is the right one, but it is only a self-extracting zip-file. Unpack it to a new folder and then use dxsetup.exe /InstallManagedDX to install the managed files.

Good luck!
_________________________ www.leXor.net
I tried it on my computer, and it accepts the option, but I dont know if it works for somebody else yet, but from what you say it should be fine. Thank you
I extracted the Managed DX Redist manually and uploaded it here to give with my projects :

http://users.pandora.be/echostyle/junk/mdxredist.msi

You can spread this URL to other people should you want. It''s just the MDX version which came with the summer update DX9.

I think MS should redistribute it in this way, too.
While the /InstallManagedDX option DOES work, you''d be amazed how many users don''t know how to use commandline switches.

Point well taken. I was actually going to ask if there was a way to do precisely what you have posted. You my friend are a genius . Figuratively speaking of course
I''m going crazy trying to get managed DX9 apps(mine and others) to run on my win2000 boxes. (.net 1.1 and 9.0b are installed) I''ve tried everything I can find. I do dxsetup.exe /installmanageddx and it installs, but the dx control panels still says I don''t have managed DX installed, and the apps don''t run(process **, thread ** error). I''ve also tried several mdxredist.msi installs(which works on XP boxes). What is up?!? My sanity thanks you in advance.
tfowers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement