Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fisheyel83l

C# references

I''m getting this warning in my class library project: Warning: The dependency ''ID3Utilities, Version=1.0.1385.22542, Culture=neutral'' in project ''PlaylistUtilities'' cannot be copied to the run directory because it would overwrite the reference ''ID3Utilities, Version=1.0.1556.971, Culture=neutral''. I''m using VS .NET 2K3, and I''ve referenced ID3Utilities successfully in other projects. Any idea why I''m getting this warning? It''s turning into an error down the road, so I can''t ignore it like my programmer''s instinct tells me to. I think it has to do with the fact that ID3Utilities and PlaylistUtilities are both Class Library projects, because like I said, I referenced ID3Utilities in a console app and it worked fine. Any ideas?

Tolerance is a drug. Sycophancy is a disease.

Are you linking 2 different versions? It sounds like you''re generating one version, but linking to an older version, so when it tries to overwrite the newer one it fails.

I built ID3Utilities, then referenced the .dll in that project''s ''bin\debug\'' folder. Should be up to date...

try build -> clean of your PlaylistUtilities project(or alternatively delete the obj and bin dirs), and recompile, to see if you still get the error

Hmm, I seems like the version of the referenced assembly is lower than the assembly that is already copied to the run directory.

So you should check if you have referenced the actual version, or if you really want to use the old version (Version=1.0.1385.22542) than delete the dll in the run directory...

Have fun
Bunnz
Visit: www.bunnz.com

OK, here''s a twist. I have another .dll, called MP3Utilities. If I remove this one from the project and comment out the related code, I compile with no errors...

by any chance, did you copy any of your projects to start other ones? Like copy ID3Utilities, and then rename it to MP3Utilities? (this won''t change the output name)

It almost sounds like one of these libraries is named something else, so you''d have two dlls which are separate projects but have the same name.

Well, MP3Utilities was a downloaded library. Apparently, it was an old download, because when I redownloaded it, everything compiled fine... I don''t know. I still don''t understand the warning I got. At least it''s working now.

Sweet. I have my very own playlist editor.