Video Rendering in DirectX

Started by
4 comments, last by Pokemonster 20 years ago
Hi! I''m trying to write a video renderer in DirectX (9.0+). My current approach is to Blit the video frames into a texture and map this texture onto a quad. As you would expect, this runs very slow. So my question now is, does anyone of you have experience in this area and can give me a hint on how to do this (using hardware accelerated features like stretching etc.)? Cheers, ALex
Advertisement
Read about DirectShow. It''s for streaming multimedia, including videos.

There''s a DShow sample in the DX9 SDK that shows how to play a video into a texture.

Muhammad Haggag,
Optimize
Bitwise account: MHaggag -

I know, that''s what I''m trying to avoid. There are problems with the new VideoMixing Renderer (VMR7+VMR9) and I don''t need the DirectShow overhead and all the additional functionality.

- ALex
quote:Original post by Pokemonster
I know, that''s what I''m trying to avoid. There are problems with the new VideoMixing Renderer (VMR7+VMR9) and I don''t need the DirectShow overhead and all the additional functionality.

What problems are you thinking about? The VMR9 works great for me. And as for additional functionality, I don''t need all the extra functionality that comes with std::string. Doesn''t prevent me from using it. And if someday later I find that I do need the extra functionality, I don''t have to change nearly as much. And I am unsure about how much overhead DirectShow will actually bring. Sounds like it is precisely the tool to use for your situation.

Just my opinion, though. Other people probably know of a lot of different ways to get efficient simple video rendering going.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
I converted the code from the nehe tutorial to d3d 9
im not sure what code your using
it uses vfw.h
it sounds like the same type of thing your doing
get a pointer to the video data and transfer the data into a texture
i could just post it now but im too lazy
so if someone wants it i guess i could find and post it
My bad, I played with the reference and hardware rasterizers and forgot to switch back :-P. The speed is acceptable now.
The problem we had with the VMRs in Direct Show is, that they cause problems on prety old graphic cards (cards with no 3d acceleration whatsoever). Even the VMR7 which should work on them. That''s one of the reasons for not using DirectShow.

Thanks for your help!
ALex

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement