Programmers: what development tools do you use?

Started by
33 comments, last by NeonStorm 20 years ago
Hello, I just wanted to get some feedback as to what tools YOU use when programming and WHY (compilers, debuggers etc.) I'm just curious what everyone uses around here (mainly when programming in C/C++). Also, what operating system you program on might help as well. To get the ball rolling, I have used... OS - Windows XP Compiler/debugger - Microsoft Visual Studio .NET -- Nice programming environment, loads of documentation, nice debugger etc. Compiler - Dev-C++ -- A good, simple programming environment (for me), easy to whip up code, can quickly compile small segments of code etc. Well, that's all I've used so far. :-) I'm particularly interested in the development tools for Linux and Unix because I've heard there are some pretty good ones... Anyway, feel free to post (please add a short statement as to why you use what if you don't mind); thanking you all in advance [edited by - NeonStorm on April 5, 2004 8:19:22 AM] [edited by - NeonStorm on April 5, 2004 8:21:05 AM] [edited by - NeonStorm on April 5, 2004 8:23:19 AM]
Advertisement
Compiler: GCC 3.x
Editor: Vim
Matt
OS - Windows XP
I use Visual C++ .net
OS: Windows XP Home, because That''s Where The Money Is

Development environment: Python w/IDLE. Perl, used from EditPlus. A handful of other interpreted languages, used from their native environments. Delphi for writing DLLs accessible from other languages. Why? Because life is too short to waste on C/C++. Computers are damn fast these days (they were damn fast five years ago, and now they''re 10-15x as damn fast!). My rule is to whatever make development totally pleasant and addictive, and everything else falls out of that.
Compiler: GCC
Editor: Notepad / VI
O/S: WinXP
Compiler: MinGW (g++)
Editor: GVim
Windows API: wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows)
Compiler: GCC
Editor: Xemacs

Compiler: VC++ 6.0
Editor: VC++ 6.0
API: DirectX (sometimes I have to use OpenGL when interfacing with openGL stuff)

I also mix it up with some assembly when needed, but as far as scripting languages go, I like to make my own tools with C++ or maybe Java... (call me a control freak).

When adjusting 2D stuff I use Photoshop.
When adjusting 3D stuff I use 3DSMax or sometimes just AC3D.
For my primary development machine:

Compiler: gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)
javac version 1.4.2-34, for when I work in Java.
IDE: Xcode 1.1
API:
Java: standard Java API, including JFC/Swing
C++: C++ STL(don''t make GUI C++ programs on Mac, yet)
Objective-C: Cocoa

For my PC:
IDE: Borland C++ Builder 6 Professional
API: Borland VCL with C++ STL

Yea, being stuck between platforms is interesting, and fun in a way that I never run out of things to learn. Although I somewhat cheat, and build my programs with visual editors when I can get away with it.
GameDev
OS - Windows XP
Compiler/debugger - Dev-C++

WebDev
OS - Windows XP
Editor - Programmers Notepad

WirelessDev
OS - Windows XP
Editor - Programmers Notepad

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..
Thanks for all the replies, keep em comin'' :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement