Choosing a Scripting Language

Started by
37 comments, last by irbrian 20 years ago
This could be interesting and very beneficial for both of you.

PeterTarkus can have someone using his code and giving him feedback from ''the field.''

irbrian, while not having the most stable scripting language implementation known, will have a first line of bug fixes and help.
Advertisement
Hi,

I have already worked with Python but not for a game purpose. It is great because it can deal easily with C++ with boost python.
But what I would like to know is if boost python is not too huge for a game purpose? Will it not slow down all the game engine ?

For the discussion, I think that Cint could be a good interpreter for people who want "C++ script" :
http://root.cern.ch/root/Cint.html
I keep thinking GameMonkey might be the way to go, despite the lack of object oriented-ness. Now that I''ve finally got MSVC7 installed and working, I''m gonna check it out.

CINT sounds a bit over the top.. while I''m interested in C-like syntax, actually using C/C++ for scripting seems like overkill. Its an interesting option though, I appreciate you pointing it out.
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."
The whole point of script is that it allows designers to rapidly prototype concepts. The only time you should need to compile to bytecode/binary is when the final product is ready to released. Don''t make your designers compile to byte code- that''s just bad business.

Therefore, I contend that there is no need for a script language that has C syntax. Scripts are for non-programmers and Level Designers, period. The only time you need C like syntax is for big games that want to expose the power of their engine to modders (like Unreal, Half Life, etc).

Take a look at games like Warcraft 3, Far Cry, etc. They are using script for the right things.
I''ve never tried it, but you might want to look into "C Scripting Language (CSL)".

http://download.com.com/3000-2069-8584171.html

For more pages of similar ilk, google for ''c scripting language''.

About:
C Scripting Language (CSL) is an embeddable scripting language with C syntax. A comprehensive set of libraries is included in the base package, and writing your own libraries is possible with an easy API for C programs, as well as a class interface for C++ programs. If you are looking for a compact and powerful scripting engine for your application, CSL might be the choice.
quote:Original post by vajuras
The whole point of script is that it allows designers to rapidly prototype concepts. The only time you should need to compile to bytecode/binary is when the final product is ready to released. Don''t make your designers compile to byte code- that''s just bad business.

Therefore, I contend that there is no need for a script language that has C syntax. Scripts are for non-programmers and Level Designers, period. The only time you need C like syntax is for big games that want to expose the power of their engine to modders (like Unreal, Half Life, etc).

Take a look at games like Warcraft 3, Far Cry, etc. They are using script for the right things.
I think you''re completely overlooking online games in that statement. OGs are a whole different ballgame. They are extended by the development team regularly after release, and they are seldom extended by non-staff.

Besides being streamlined, it seems to me the primary syntactical requirement of a scripting language is that the language must be natural and comfortable to the scripters -- who in my case, as I stated previously, are people that are more used to C-like languages. When it actually takes effort to remember NOT to include a semicolon or curly brace, its time to consider that just maybe C-like syntax is the way to go.

What I''m actually trying to do is develop a very simple (but expandable) online game framework. For now I''m only implementing a scripting engine and a winsock wrapper, such that the scripting language has more or less direct access to the networking component. I need a scripting language which is easy for me to work with first and foremost, and which will be easy to adapt to as I include the other individuals I mentioned.
quote:Original post by Thrump
I''ve never tried it, but you might want to look into "C Scripting Language (CSL)".

http://download.com.com/3000-2069-8584171.html

For more pages of similar ilk, google for ''c scripting language''.

About:
C Scripting Language (CSL) is an embeddable scripting language with C syntax. A comprehensive set of libraries is included in the base package, and writing your own libraries is possible with an easy API for C programs, as well as a class interface for C++ programs. If you are looking for a compact and powerful scripting engine for your application, CSL might be the choice.
Checking it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Who is going to be writing your scripts? Where I work most of the scripts are written by non-programmers. A C-like interface is a negative.

Heh, same here
irbrian, I have a suggestion (again).
I think it would be better to keep the networking details hidden from the script writer. I think UnrealScript had a good design plan when they kept all the networking details under the covers and in the C++ code. Any scripers who write game logic, and scripted events need not even worry with the complexities of server and clients, and messages. But, it might be a good idea to include your wrapper for the networking to be callable by the script, but keep that seperate from the game logic code: invisable to scripter. This will give you the easy in developement: beinging able to write networking specific events in the script.

Hope these suggestions and ideas from a lowely programmer will help you with your game engine and scripting language.
Elendil!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement