• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3DXSprite and Additive Blending

This topic is 5132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to ge additive blending to work with my sprites [for particles and such] but no such luck so far. Here's my code
Graphics->GetD3DXSprite()->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND | D3DXSPRITE_SORT_DEPTH_BACKTOFRONT);

Graphics->GetD3DDevice()->SetRenderState( D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE );
Graphics->GetD3DDevice()->SetRenderState( D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE );

Sprite->Draw(Graphics);

Graphics->GetD3DXSprite()->End();

Graphics->GetD3DDevice()->EndScene();
The Draw method of Sprite only calls the D3DXSprite's Draw. However, when I draw my sprite this way, all the screen goes white... I can't see what's wrong, any clues? Thanks in advance --------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 kinds of people: those who know binary and those who don't [edited by - CutterSlade on April 5, 2004 10:00:12 AM]

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by CutterSlade

Graphics->GetD3DXSprite()->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND | D3DXSPRITE_SORT_DEPTH_BACKTOFRONT);

The Draw method of Sprite only calls the D3DXSprite''s Draw. However, when I draw my sprite this way, all the screen goes white... I can''t see what''s wrong, any clues?

I''ve experienced trouble with D3DXSPRITE_SORT_DEPTH_BACKTOFRONT, have you tried removing it and see if it works?

Just tried it now, but didn''t change a thing...

---------------------------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people: those who know binary and those who don''t

Then how exactly would I do a simple additive blending?

set the D3DRS_BLENDOP to D3DBLENDOP_ADD, the D3DRS_SRCBLEND to D3DBLEND_SRCCOLOR, and the D3DRS_DESTBLEND to D3DBLEND_DESTCOLOR. setting both blend operands to 1 is bound to get you pure white.

also, is this managed DX or something? i''m using DX9b with C++ and D3DXSprite::Begin() does not accept any parameters.. not to mention there is no way for me to chain together interfaces like that (GetD3DXSprite->Begin() for example).

Woohoo, it works, thanks a bunch!! =D
I''m not using managed DX. I''m using the Summer 2003 update SDK, maybe that''s the difference.

• Advertisement