Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SavX

What's better: 3Ds max or Maya?

I''m just wondering.. They seem to be the two most popular. But does one have an advantage over the other? Or is it just a matter of which one you feel comfortable with?

traditionally 3DS max was the editor of choice in the games industry and maya was the editor of choice for the movie industry. i''ve heard that several/many game developers are switching over to maya, but that''s an unverified rumor. AFAIK the majority still use 3DS max. inherrently asking which is better is like asking which is better: C++ or VB. either way they both cost upwards of $3,000 so they''re out of reach for the casual developer.

maya does offer the Personal Learning Edition (PLE) but you can''t do anything "productive" with it because you can''t export the models to anything other than the PLE format, which is different from the normal Maya format. all your models will also be watermarked with a "PLE Edition" texture that will be applied to them. however, if you''re interested in trying out the tool you should download it and play around with it.

i think 3DS offers a free modeller (gmax) which, i believe, either comes with all the features of 3DS max or a decent subset of them. I believe it''s supposed to be compatible with a few games so you can more eaily mod them. it''s worth at least reading about on the discreet site.

-me

Bit of a loaded question there... depends on a lot of factors. I tend to think its a matter of personal preference and cost.

Anyway, this subject has been discussed in extreme lengths in CG forums. Here is a very useful link if you are looking for comparisons between software.