Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

looking for better chess evaluation function

This topic is 5001 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have been working on a chess engine for few monthes by now. it has alpha-beta, PV, Iterative deepening, verified null-prunning. i use, highest victim, lowest attacher move ordering scheme. i recently removed the aspiration windows, because the pruning reached a point where a -infinity to +infinity windows, are better than having to re-search. the engine now reached the point where it can search 7-ply with quiescence in an average of 10 sec. (on my 2.0GHz computer) with nearly 3.5x for each additional ply. thats not a record at all, i know. i dont use bitboards. anyways, here is what i want to do next: make a better evaluation function, mine is too lame, (it knows about doubled, isolated, and passed pawns, and importance of castling) it dont have piece-square tables, nor king safety, and mobility evaluation. and it treats openings, middle-games, and end-games the same. i gave my program to some good chess playing friends, and had the same feedback: its hard to go against it on tactical basis, but you can easily put in bad situations because it neglects development, and strategic moves. i really need a good explantion for the implementaion of such stuff: **how can i tell the computer that its in the opening, middle-game, or end-game stage. a suggested piece-square table for each. **an explantion of terms important to define king safety, and mobility. **better pawn structure evaluation is also important. where can i find such information. any explanations, or links are much apreciated. questions asking for help in evalating functions has been asked before but i found no well-explained answers. please help. [edited by - zaidgs on April 8, 2004 7:07:21 AM]