What sort of AI demos would "wow" an employer?

Started by
41 comments, last by wyrd 20 years ago
Depending on what sort of game AI you want to get into, keep it simple. You don''t need to blow their minds, just put something concrete together.

For instance, a robust 2D pathing system could be a good start. Look at some of the techniques in use out there (nav meshes, etc) and implement one. Get several agents working at once (handling local movement/collisions/queuing etc).

Don''t focus on ''advanced'' things until you have proven that you can do the sort of thing you will likely be doing on a daily basis. Most game companies don''t do the advanced things because the ''simple'' problems take a lot of time to get solved solidly in the first place.

For graphics, just use a quad represent your object. Everything you should need for graphics you could probably toss together off of Nehe. Put your energy into the AI side if that is what you want to find a job for.
Advertisement
Definitely try to make it visually impressive. Wow-factor goes a long way with any demo. Also, if you want to make an AI that gets around in a 3D environment, you''re going to need to know so much about basic concepts like vectors and so forth that some semi-fancy 3D graphics won''t be tough for you.
talking about employment, I think it would be best if you can say on your resume that you are motivated, and have a tendancy to always complete your projects. I have worked with too many people who can not finish a project and that will make angry people and enemies, because everyone else has to do extra work that you couldn''t finish. I think I''m saying something that all employer''s would say. "duh?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement