Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of Complier?

This topic is 5001 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking to get into game programming and i was wondering what complier would you suggest for me to buy. I was looking at the visual c++ one but i would like to know what you think. And i have no experiance i am just starting out.

If you''re just starting, I''d recommend not spending any money and trying Dev-C++. It''ll give you a good insight into how to work with an IDE & compiler and how to use C & C++.

Visual C++ is a good bet on the Windows platform and worth spending the money to get at least the pro version. Still I wouldn''t recommend a brand newbie shell out until they would be able to get the most from it (and thats not to say gcc is bad of course!).

Even so, if you are truly just beginning, you might find something like Python or Ruby a more friendly introduction to programming.

What do you think of this for a start? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006347Y/qid=1081197829/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-software/102-9333095-9377710?v=glance&s=software&n=229534 Can i actually make games with that?

Yes, but if you don''t know C++, forget making games with it for at least 6 months (ok, you can try sooner but I tend to recommend understanding the basics first).

You can also make games with Dev-C++ in exactly the same way, only you don''t need to pay $70 for it.

Go look at www.cprogramming.com

They have very good tutorials and it''s updated somewhat. Don''t get over your head thinking you can make something like Quake or Everquest and you''ll be fine in programming .

As things stand now, I''m learning C. I was learning C++ at first, but for what I''ll be doing I don''t necessarily need C++. I have all the resources available in case I do (and probably will want to) want to switch to C++ in the future.

DevC++ and (obviously) MinGW Developer Studio uses the MinGW compiler set - which stands fro Minimalist GCC for Windows. Basically the GCC compiler set for POSIX machines ported over to Windows. A great compiler set, so you can''t go wrong.

I suggest downloading the set without an IDE so you can switch between each IDE as you please. Also, get gdb (a debugger), the Win32 API, make, and binutils. You might want to consider MSYS, but if you don''t know what it means after reading the description, don''t bother. You can get all of this and more at MinGW.org.

Happy coding!