A Quick Idea and Script Sample

Started by
10 comments, last by CHASIS-BLADE 20 years ago
It definitely looks like it should be an acronym, and since you''ve used it before in a similar context, I''m rather surprised that it isn''t. Why are you so attached to those four letters? It''s not an acronym, the word isn''t particularly appropriate... I can''t see any reason to call it that, especially since it was formed by an executive order. Call it the Special Evil Elimination Response Team, or SEER Team. I dunno. I just don''t like SEEr. It''s so arbitrary.
Advertisement
If SEEr doesn''t mean anything, then it could be any four letter combination, such as ASDf, OUCh, EATs, or POOp. The government never gives a random name like SEEr to an orginization. They have far too much time on their hands to waste to give random names to something. They have to spend a long time trying to think of some appropriate phrase that also makes a cool acronym. Otherwise they might have time for actually thinking up good ways to spend tax money. Anyway, everything has to have a reason, or it simply becomes a thorn in the player''s side. It will bother the player and leave them feeling bad about your game. There was almost no reason to the ending (final battle) of Final Fantasy IX, which made a lot of people irate (including me).

Yes, the concept does sound like SeeD, but that''s not a bad thing. Taking an old idea in a new direction simply breathes new life into an old idea, making it as good as new... That reads awkwardly, but oh well. Taking an old idea and taking it in the same direction, with little change just makes the idea grow stale. I''m sure Chasis-Blade can take something that may sound like SeeD and make it into something different and as great as the original idea. There aren''t many original idea''s left, after all.

Your intro could be the most frightening in any video game I''ve ever seen. Open with Jason leaving his school. Calm music, everything seems fine. Suddenly... Music crecendoes and becomes more intense, shots of men attacking Jason and subduing him flash almost on the screen. Jason slumps unconcious. Darkness. After a few seconds, the voice of a news anchorwoman is heard,slowling rising from silence to speaking volume. She gives her report as the lights slowly come up on a lab. Jason slowly wakes up as the anchorwoman finishes her report. We see Jason, close up, come to with a look of horror on his face, then flashes of the horrific experiences, with the underlying sounds of screaming, etc. A heartbeat slowly rises above the other sounds and becomes slower and slower as we see Jason, alone, writhing in agony. Then, both Jason and the heartbeat become still. Then we see him walking through the streets (this would be another good place for the news report). He can be thinking his lines, and then we see him kill a young woman. As an opener, it should be shocking. Then, we begin playing.

I like your story, or what you have of it. You could take this concept far, although some things would have to be smoothed out. One thing though, not about your game, but your grammar:

They''re - They are
Their - posession
There - location

I know It''s kind of rude of me to bring it up, but it''s really hard for a reader when you''re constantly using the wrong forms of words. It really gives a bad impression to other people when you don''t use the right word forms, because they assume you don''t know them, which leads them to make judgements on you. This will happen in jobs and colleges and anywhere you have to write something. People are quite apt to take you much less seriously if they don''t think you understand your word forms. If you submit a game idea with all the grammatical errors with the their''s, etc., it will hurt the liklihood that a company would consider publishing your idea, even if everything else is right. It was begining to bother me, so I just wanted to point that out to you. Don''t hate me, I''m just trying to help you with a common problem.

Alright, I think I''m done for now, sorry to go into a grammer lesson, but, as I said, it bothered me, and it will bother other people in situations more important than this one. I love your idea and I wish you luck as you continue to work on and develop it.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement