Dev-C++ compiling '2'?

Started by
14 comments, last by nagromo 20 years ago
I just installed Dev-C++, created a new project (the default Windows app), and tried to compile. It gave me this error: 2 C:\Documents and Settings\Morgan\My Documents\Programming\Dev-C++ Projects\test\2 unable to run program file. It seems like it is trying to compile a file that doesn't exist and was never added to my project. I used Dev-C++ fine before I had to reinstall windows. It does the same thing with any other program I try to compile, including projects created under my old install. I have no idea how to fix this; please help! [edited by - nagromo on April 5, 2004 5:28:02 PM]
Advertisement
uninstall and reinstall.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I uninstalled, re-downloaded, re-installed, and updated already.
Did you delete the devcpp.cfg and devcpp.ini files? Search for them, but make sure that you have the option to look for hidden files and folders checked. Delete these files, and reinstall. Also, make sure you don''t have spaces in the path where you installed Dev-C++. This can mess up the command line stuff.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
in older versions, dev-c++ (or actually the mingw tools) would only work when located in a directory without spaces. I.e. "Program Files" would break the tool integration. I''m not sure if the same was true of the project files themselves, but it''s something to check.

lonesock

Piranha are people too.
I deleted the config files and now it gives a new error:

ld C:\Documents and Settings\Morgan\My Documents\Programming\Dev-C++ Projects\TextRPG\ld
cannot open crt2.o: No such file or directory.

Adding C:/Dev-C++/lib/crt2.o to the files to link didn''t help, either, and I have no idea what ld is.
I think lonesock is correct. Use directory names without spaces.

First make it work, then make it fast. --Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
quote:Original post by CaptainJester
I think lonesock is correct. Use directory names without spaces.

FYI:

Program Files = progra~1
Documents and settings = Docume~1

when it asks for an install path replace the names with spaces to the names w/out spaces and it''ll usually be ok. this is a general fix i''ve had to use with various poorly written apps. there''s a way to escape the space characters as well, but i forget how.

-me

It is installed in C:/Dev-C++. I moved my project folder there so the project's path also has no spaces and it still gives me the error. The default windows app gives me a different error, though:

47 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\windows.h
In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/windows.h
2 C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\test\main.cpp
from main.cpp
24 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\stdarg.h:6
no include path in which to find stdarg.h
40 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\string.h
In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/string.h
37 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\winnt.h
from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/winnt.h
246 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\windef.h
from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/windef.h
48 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\windows.h
from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/windows.h
2 C:\Dev-Cpp\Projects\test\main.cpp
from main.cpp
24 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\stddef.h:6
no include path in which to find stddef.h

It goes on with many more errors in standard header files. I did this with a fresh install. The files stddef.h etc. exist in C:\Dev-Cpp\include. Please help!

[edited by - nagromo on April 5, 2004 9:53:51 PM]
Why are some slashes backwards ( "\" ) and some forewards ( "/" ) ? I think that''s your problem

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement