2d anti-aliased lines

Started by
2 comments, last by izzo 20 years ago
Hi Do most graphics cards support 2d anti-aliased lines in hardware? I seem to recall reading in my EGA/VGA Programmer''s Guide by Ferraro long ago (don''t have it handy at the moment) that many cards supported various 2d drawing operations in hardware. Surely by now they support anti-aliased lines? And if so, does Windows provide a way to access those features? And if not, why not? :D I''m using GDI. Actually I''m using wxWindows and its wxDC class, which is just a wrapper for GDI under Windows, afaik, so OpenGL/DX is out of the question. cheers sam
Advertisement
No... Modern graphics cards have no support for anything in 2D, you are better off using a 3D api. Software rendering is often faster than hardware rendering for 2D when you want to do anything else than simple blitting. But wrting your own software renderer is no small task, even in 2D, so, look at how to do it in D3D or OGL.
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac
Doh.. Oh well. OGL/DX is out of the question as it would mean a major rewrite. Thanks anyway!
Well, you can always write your own in software, it is possible. Just google, The algorithm is available out there. Good luck.

The more I think, the more confused I get.
The best 2D game developer site out there!
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement