Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommend a Platform Independent Network Library?

This topic is 4983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Any recommendations on a platform independent network lib? By platform independant I really only mean linux/windows. I am looking for simplicity over power for now. Oh yes, free too.

quote:
Original post by tangentz
HawkNL with its OpenGL-like syntax.

That''s two recommendations for HawkNL from a total of 3 people. I''ll go with HawkNL. Thanks.

If anybody else is interested, HawkNL worked out perfectly. It was a bit lower level than I was looking for but it is very straight forward and documented "well enough" that developing a higher level wrapper took a matter of minutes.

[edited by - haro on April 6, 2004 9:04:33 PM]

and just to give you a flipside, i tried hawknl once, found it was too difficult to make it work, and wrote my own simple socket wrapper which works perfectly. it took less than a day.

quote:
Original post by guts
hey guys!
what do you think about enet? (http://enet.cubik.org/index.html)

Really funny you mention enet. I''ve actually been working with it for the past 2 days and have found it much more pleasant than HawkNL. The code is organized and written in a cleaner fashion. I was also able to more easily implement a protocol mixing reliable/nonreliable transit.