Problems stripping comments

Started by
7 comments, last by Nerothos 20 years ago
I'm trying to strip the code of all comments. However, as you can see, it doesn't work right. Anyone know the problem?

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main() {
	string str = "", main = "";
	ifstream in("file.txt");
	int pos;
	while(!in.eof()) {
		in.getline((char *) str.c_str(), 255);
		pos = str.find("//");
		if(pos != string.npos) {
			main += str.erase(pos, str.length());
		} else {
			main += str;
		}
		main += '\n';
	}
	cout << main << endl;
	in.close();
	cin.get();
	return 0;
}  
I'm running it with this as file.txt:
  one; // comment 1
		two;

r;
four;  
[edited by - Nerothos on April 5, 2004 11:23:48 PM]
Jump in and crash the system...it''s quite humbling.
Advertisement
What actually happens with the given input ? I suspect that on lines where you don''t strip the comment you''re going to get an extra new line (so all the lines will end up spaced out). I''m also not convinced about the way you''re using in.getline - you shouldn''t access str.c_str() for writing; I usually would do something like this, if it needed to be in a string:
char    line[255];in.getline(line, 255);str.assign( line ); 
Not elegant, but this has always worked fine for me and is definatelly legal (incidentally, the const declarator that you had to override with a cast to get it to work is ment to produce a compiler error when you try writing to something you shouldn''t - pay attention to the compiler errors!!).
Change:
while(!in.eof()) {		in.getline((char *) str.c_str(), 255);  

To:
while(getline(in, str)) {  

EDIT: Tried to compile it and found some other things.
Change if(pos != string.npos) { to if(pos != string::npos) { and don't use main as a variable name.

[edited by - Beer Hunter on April 6, 2004 4:50:20 AM]
quote:Original post by Nerothos
in.getline((char *) str.c_str(), 255);
Just. Plain. Wrong.

c_str() returns a const char *, meaning it is not there for you to write to but to read from. As the AP noted, pass the entire string.

Also note that getline doesn''t read in newlines, so you might want to insert one in main (you might also want a different variable name, for readability) with each line.
Man, I really spent no thought time on hacking that together! Thanks, I''ll try all that right now.
Great! Thanks for all the help!
btw C++ is not the tool for this. Sure it''s possible, but you''ll find it much easier with perl.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
quote:Original post by ChaosEngine
btw C++ is not the tool for this. Sure it''s possible, but you''ll find it much easier with perl.

btw perl is not the tool for this. Sure it''s possible, but you''ll find it much easier with C/YACC/Lex. Just offering a bit of perspective. The OP may be writing a compiler, in which case perl would be a horrible choice. Anyhow, the problem is trivial enough that no language has a real advantage.
quote:Original post by haro
quote:Original post by ChaosEngine

btw perl is not the tool for this. Sure it''s possible, but you''ll find it much easier with C/YACC/Lex. Just offering a bit of perspective. The OP may be writing a compiler, in which case perl would be a horrible choice. Anyhow, the problem is trivial enough that no language has a real advantage.

good point and well made. I take my hat off to you sir...however I too was trying to provide a bit of perspective as many people on this forum believe there are no other languages apart from C++!
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement