Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ultimate_stickboy

A new puzzle game!

The Corngill Concepts team is on the brink of releasing our first beta demo of Gemcutter, our intuitive new puzzle game. However, it is apparent that the three people currently working on it aren''t going to be enough! Please join us now to help us program and do artwork for this amazing new game! An early alpha demo is available at: http://www.corngillconcepts.com/gemcutter/gemcutter.htm So you can experience the basic idea of the game. We are also planning a number of other games for release in the future, all of them intuitive and original. We are always in need of programmers (We use Dark Basic Professional, and hope to acquire some C++ programmers soon!), artists, 3d model designers, musicians, world and level designers, and more! EXPERIENCE IS NOT A REQUIREMENT! All you need is proof of talent and proof of dedication. For more complete information regarding joining the Corngill Concepts team, visit www.corngillconcepts.com or drop me an e-mail at rob@corngillconcepts.com. Thanks a lot for your interest, we hope to see you with us soon! Corngill Concepts... Being the first is awesome... So we do it a lot. Find out how by joining now.

quote:
Original post by ultimate_stickboy
The Corngill Concepts team is on the brink of releasing our first beta demo of Gemcutter, our intuitive new puzzle game.

Did you add the "intuitive" out of irony? I mean, while the concept is quite simple, it definitely isn''t intuitive in play. You have to figure out which color is for what keys, and so on, which makes this very, very confusing.
Also the controls are placed rather badly, I miss keys all the time. Maybe just use the arrow keys with 1-4 selecting the different types of blocks or something like that?

Well, it isn''t bad, but the controls really kill the fun for me.

@Wuntvor: Thanks for the feedback! Actually, we designed this game to be optimized for use with a dual-analog joystick; in fact, it was designed with the PS2 controller specifically in mind. I understand completely that it is much trickier to get used to using the keyboard, and I can only compare the situation to that of flight simulators: They''re fun with the right hardware, but some people find them simply too awkward with the other controls to enjoy. We placed the keyboard control centers directly above each other, two gem types for each hand, so your fingers wouldn''t have to fly *too* fast. Anyway... Because decent PC controllers that support the functions Gemcutter will utilize can cost up to $60, we recommend getting a PS2 -> USB adapter from radioshack for about 10 bucks. Even if you don''t have a PS2 controller, you can pick up a used one from EBGames for around #15... much less expensive, and PS2 controllers tend to last much longer anyway. Again, not required hardware... just highly recommended.

And as far as using the 1-4 keys to switch between gem types, we''d actually thought of that... but that results in an inability to control more than one type of gem at once! In fact, this would actually make the game harder!

@Sanity: Being a Believer is not a requirement to join. However, please note: We recently decided to divide into two virtual "divisions", one for Christian games only and one for all other games. If you desire to work on Christian games, the only thing we ask is that you feel comfortable with making them. The only position that a person must be a Believer to take is story author for the Christian games. If you do not feel comfortable making them, there is always the non-Christian games; for example, we are now beginning a project called Quake Reloaded (working title), which is essentially a re-make of Quake in the Quake III Arena engine.

@SDyer: Make sure you download both the .exe file and the .zip file; unzip the package into the same folder as Gemcutter.exe (do not make a subfolder). If you are still having problems, download DX9 if you don''t have it. If it still won''t run, send me an e-mail at rob@corngillconcepts.com containing the error message and your system specs, and we''ll see if we can''t fix it in the next demo release (available soon).

Thanks for your interest, guys! Hope to see you around the site!

Corngill Concepts...
Being the first is awesome...
So we do it a lot.
Find out how by joining now.