Fine tuning C++ code?

Started by
20 comments, last by DevLiquidKnight 20 years ago
While at GDC last month, I went to a talk on optimizing C++ given by a person from Microsoft that evaluates the XBox games. The #1 thing was to run a profiler. That was it. He was amazed how many games he reviewed that didn''t use one. He got a MINIMUM 25% increase in frame rate on all games evaulated. Mainly from running the game through a profiler.

As for why Microsoft doesn''t supply one, that''s anyones guess.

- onebeer
- onebeer
Advertisement
Hi!

quote:Original post by tolleyc
Summary: Use ++i, not i++

No offense, but I really wonder if you'd notice any difference in speed in any test you can think of (talking about this ++i instead of i++). Optimizations like this one is not something any serious programmer would do. Note that you usually do something hundreds (if not more) times more expensive inside the "for" branches.
I can't think of any serious code sample where such optimization would be noticeable. Tell me if I'm missing something important.

I would divide optimizations that make sense into 2 kinds:

1. Algorithm related.

Much more important in most of the applications nowadays.
Exceptions here are "only": real-time applications and drivers, otherwise optimizing down to stuff like "make 2 tricky assignments instead of 4" doesn't usually make any sense but makes your application much more difficult to understand for the others and makes it more buggy.
A well designed and clever algorithm will speed up you application much more than poor but dangerous tricks you can do with C/C++.

A well known rule for software developers is KISS which stands for "Keep It Stupid Simple", which - a bit exagerating - expresses best what I'm talking about.

2. Coding tricks.

These are the things that are exceptions from above - mostly computer games, real-time simulators etc.
You should keep in mind however not to optimize everything, but just the critical pieces of your code like (just few examples):
- copying some large arrays of vertices
- interpolating thousands of vertices of your models in real-time
- precomputing some computationally expensive values

[edited by - MickeyMouse on April 7, 2004 4:43:44 PM]
Maciej Sawitus
my blog | my games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement