Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mushu

to mesh or not to mesh?

Is there any noticable speed difference between mesh.drawsubset and the d3ddevice.drawprimitive assuming it is the same figure? Assume the mesh has no animations and they are otherwise exactly the same. I''m thinking about implementing a game entirely with meshes. Just want to know if there will be any noticable preformance drop if I decide to make everything in meshes. Thanks.
Yes... VB6 is here to steal your minds and steal fps. Very slowly.
Call .optimize(you.sig)

DrawSubset() also does the required precursory things to DrawPrimitive() such as setting sources for vertex/index buffers. It''s possible if your mesh has more than one subset, these may get called multiple times, which might incur some performance hit if you otherwise wouldn''t need to. On a non-pure device they might get filtered pretty quickly though.

I''d still say the difference would be marginal, but you might want to do some benchmarks yourself, if you''re that worried.

-Mezz

If your objects have a large number of materials, then the overhead involved in DrawSubset will start to drag down performance. In general, its usually better to do your own rendering by calling DIP because you control all the calls being made.

neneboricua