Distribute compiling

Started by
11 comments, last by Martin Foerster 20 years ago
quote:Original post by dmikesell
I submitted an article about this to Gamedev, but it was not published. I didn''t spend a lot of time on it (which is probably why it wasn''t published here!), but I think it has sound ideas in it. You can read it here. It draws heavily on Lakos'' book /Large-Scale C++ Software Design/.

No offense, but anyone who can get past the introductory paragraph of that article probably doesn''t need to read it. Coupling and cohesion aren''t terms that seem to be in the vocabulary of beginner programmers.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by SiCrane
quote:Original post by dmikesell
I submitted an article about this to Gamedev, but it was not published. I didn''t spend a lot of time on it (which is probably why it wasn''t published here!), but I think it has sound ideas in it. You can read it here. It draws heavily on Lakos'' book /Large-Scale C++ Software Design/.

No offense, but anyone who can get past the introductory paragraph of that article probably doesn''t need to read it. Coupling and cohesion aren''t terms that seem to be in the vocabulary of beginner programmers.

Most programmers understand logical coupling, but I''m not sure they understand physical coupling in C++. If I declare a bunch of private variables and private functions in Foo.h, even though clients of Foo may not be *logically* coupled with these privates, they are *physically* coupled with them. So when they change, all clients must recompile. PIMPL helps to overcome this.

I have a pretty big project, consisting of about 130 files and 12-14 sub-projects (Dlls).

It takes ''bout 9-10 minutes to compile it with .NET -> with incremental compiling, blahblah all turned on.

The problem with Incredibuild seems to be, that it can''t build on the other agents because of the dependencies between all the projects. However, I tried the trial-version only. But the trial should be no problem, because how should someone evaluate the use of such a tool, when the trial-version doesn''t feature the most important part...so I guess its not a matter of the version.

Regarding ''Like IncrediBuild?'' ... I mentioned this, to give my problem more precision.
There are 10 kinds of people,those who understand binaryand those who not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement