Triangle strips

Started by
3 comments, last by MadMaxz5 20 years ago
Hi, Am I right in assuming that using triangle strips(as opposed to triang. lists) is the only way to blend the colour and light values between the adjacent faces. I’m using extremely high polycount models and no textures at present. Draw primitive method is called for the triangle list buffer but if the faces are not coplanar even by a slight angle there is a very visible seam between them. Worse still, if I have to use traing. strips it is unlikely that I can generate a continuous one for the entire object(200K vertices), so I assuming that the boundary edges between strips would still be visible. What’s the best solution –switch to strips anyway or perhaps applying texture to the triangle lists would conceal the seams??
Advertisement
So what is normally used then, strips or lists? If strips, then how would you convert a really large and complex object into strips?
I''m not sure precisely what would cause the visual problem you''re having, but I''m quite confident that it isn''t caused by triangle lists. In fact, using a triangle list and an index buffer, instead of using a triangle strip, are quite common. But even with just a basic triangle list, as long as the duplicate vertices are identical, it should end up looking identical to using triangle strips.

I''m guessing that either your vertices are different by just a little bit, or you have some other setting that is causing things to get messed up a tad. Lists vs. Strips alone shouldn''t be causing this problem.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Are you using lighting? If so then you could be having issues with lighting and your vertex normals.

Also, just to check the obvious... if you''re using DX 8.0 or later try using the REF object instead of the HAL object to verify that your problem is hardware independent.

"Good code will come and go, but bad code sticks around."
"Good code will come and go, but bad code sticks around."
Thanks for the replies.
But I''m considering to implement textures anyway. Besides DirectX
help file says that by using triangle strips you can blend the
endges, but if you use lists you can only blend the vetrices of a single face.
Take care

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement