Can I use a 3d engine to develop a 2d isometric game?

Started by
9 comments, last by jefftsai2050 20 years ago
Hi As you know, crystal space is a free 3D engine, can i use it to develop a 2D isometric game?
Advertisement
sure. the only difference between an iso game and a 3D game, is the camera. Although there could be an issue if you want translucency, so you can track the player through masking walls. Warcraft3 is a sort of isometric game in 3D.

Everything is better with Metal.

well wc3 is a 3d game for the most part. they use models instead of sprites in almost all cases.

if you mean, can you use animated sprites (2D-like) in a 3d engine, sure! but the key would indeed be getting the camera set up right.
Naw, it''ll never work.
wc3 is 3D models, but the view is isometric. if he wants to use crystal space for a 2D sprite based game, it''s probably OTT, and it might be too much trouble for what it''s worth.

Everything is better with Metal.

Why is it always the anonymous posters that offer no/the worse advice?!

Stay Clausal,

Red Sodium
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
quote:Original post by oliii
if he wants to use crystal space for a 2D sprite based game, it''s probably OTT, and it might be too much trouble for what it''s worth.

I would think making it work could be. I spent a fair amout of time convinced that using 3d was going to be hard stuff and not worth learning if I only wanted to do 2D. Till I found out its not even close to hard. Moral of the story? Do it yourself. There are several articals on iso games in 3D on site here, and they are a short read. It truly wont take long to build what you need yourself. In the amount of time it would take to learn to use someone else''s engine you could have your own made to do exactly what you need.

------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
I would take a look at SDL, ALLEGRO, or CLANLIB before you headed off and learned crystal space. Not that it would be THAT much harder, but the overhead would be extensive for a 2d game. And im pretty sure that those without the 3d accelorators could be hurting.
quote:Original post by PaulCesar
......And im pretty sure that those without the 3d accelorators could be hurting.

I wouldn't worry much about that one. Anyone without even an old basic 3D card probably doesn't care about playing much of anything but cards on PC. If they are they would spend a few bucks on an older 3D card which cost little more than 2D only cards and are more than fast enough still to run a low poly 2Dish style game. Budget Geforce2 run like 25 bucks and are way better than what shipped in thier E-Machine.

I do support the SDL recomendation BTW. Lets you bypass alot of OS specific and tragicly borring setup code and other stuff.

[edited by - Goober King on April 11, 2004 9:06:51 PM]
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Actually, trying to use CrystalSpace as an isometric engine is sufficiently common that CrystalSpace supports an isometric mode through it''s iIsoEngine interface.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement