GDI+ for basic stuff?

Started by
4 comments, last by craigw9292 20 years ago
Is it possible to use GDI+ for basic games? eg: just 2d low frame rate stuff. I''ve got some basic rendering working with no flicker but that might just be luck! thanks! -C --- happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone gets to see it but only you get that warm feeling ---
--- www.typemismatch.com - for developers ---
Advertisement
Quite possible.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

ok, maybe not - I just did some basic rendering to get scrolling text, very bad flicker ... o well - off to directx :D

C
Double Buffer your GDI and you see very little flicker. Made asteroids and pacman in GDI only. They came out fine, you sometimes see slight tearing of graphics due to "vertical retrace" I think, but Double Buffer with GDI removes most flicker. With DirectX you can fix even the "vertical retrace" issue.

VazGames.com

Phil P

[edited by - PhilVaz on April 6, 2004 12:48:36 PM]
ahh ok, so is double buffering a concept or setting? I''m doing this in C# so it looks a bit different from your c++ code.
It''s a concept. The idea is that you draw everything to a DC in memory and then draw that DC to the screen so that all the changes are shown within 1 monitor refresh. This way you wont have the problem of tearing (flickering).

Thanks Salsa!Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm
"I forgot I had the Scroll Lock key until a few weeks ago when some asshole program used it. It even used it right" - Conner McCloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement