winsock performance

Started by
5 comments, last by exa_einstein 20 years ago
Hi guys i am quite new to network programming (i have ust finished my CSocket implementation etcetc...) - so i have a little question: Is windows'' socket API enough fast for games like Counterstrike? (I was trying to write something like ping and it hadn''t seemed very fast) OR is there some other and a little faster/cleaner method how to implement network under windows? it is just a performance question... thank you exa_einstein
When I was younger, I used to solve problems with my AK-47. Times have changed. I must use something much more effective, killing, percise, pernicious, efficient, lethal and operative. C++ is my choice.
Advertisement
Winsock is about as low level as you can get when doing network programming for Windows.
WinSock is the fastest available. Counterstrike uses it. If you have performance problems, the problem is not in WinSock.

The only other alternative is DirectPlay. If you care about performance, it''s common to not want to use DirectPlay.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Yes, winsock is a very good solution. I highly recommend raw winsock. Stay away from MFC and other winsock wrapper classes.

Kuphryn
And for the love of god stay away from async sockets (WSASelect, WSASend, etc)
quote:Original post by Evil Steve

I think you''re confused. There''s no such function as WSASelect() and WSASend() adds functionality for overlapped, not asynchronous sockets.
quote:Original post by SiCrane
quote:Original post by Evil Steve

I think you''re confused. There''s no such function as WSASelect() and WSASend() adds functionality for overlapped, not asynchronous sockets.

Whoops, thats what i mean

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement