• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

irbrian

Pondering the Inter-Forum Disease

This topic is 5566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by irbrian
Just how direct need I be before you get the hint, Sir?
In the classic words of Destiny''s Child, "Say my name, say my name..."

I don''t respond to veiled accusations; they''re far to many. Heck, I ignore most named accusations. As usual, I like to point to this thread to assure you that you are not the first (by a long shot) and you won''t be the last.

Get over it.

Advertisement
Oluseyi:
Alright then, if you prefer, I'll state it clearly:

I feel that Oluseyi has consistently offered negative, even unprofessional feedback.

Edit: I removed the remaineder of this post. Although it was written jestfully, it was entirely unprofessional, and I certainly don't want to sound like a hypocrit.

Brian Lacy
ForeverDream Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?

"I create. Therefore I am."

[edited by - irbrian on April 14, 2004 6:42:08 PM]

You can probably consider this an official complaint. If you want to make doubly sure, Dave''s email address is dave@gamedev.net...

The wiki idea is something we''re still tossing around on the moderator''s discussion list from time to time... as I''m sure you can imagine, there''s a number of issues to be resolved (example: do we let anyone and everyone edit pages in it, or do we restrict it to members with a rating greater than or equal to a certain threshold?).

quote:
Original post by irbrian
Oluseyi:
Alright then, if you prefer, I''ll state it clearly:

I feel that Oluseyi has consistently offered negative, even unprofessional feedback.
Here''s a heads-up: When e-mailing Dave, make sure to indicate at least one thread as concrete evidence of my transgressions. Always helps to make the case.

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
I don't respond to veiled accusations; they're far to many. Heck, I ignore most named accusations. As usual, I like to point to this thread to assure you that you are not the first (by a long shot) and you won't be the last.

Get over it.

No need for concern there. You've thoughtfully provided one.

Look, I'm not trying to get you in trouble. I'm trying to make a point -- that Moderators ought to be more professional and helpful, and should actively encourage others to act professional as well, instead of acting like children.

[edited by - irbrian on April 15, 2004 11:58:28 AM]

quote:
Original post by irbrian
Look, I''m not trying to get you in trouble. I''m trying to make a point -- that Moderators ought to be more professional and helpful, and should actively encourage others to act professional as well, instead of acting like children.
And it took you this long to make that simple of a point? That''s distressing.

I''ve been encouraging you to be direct and to the point. We''re not children; we shouldn''t get annoyed and testy over small things (and this is laughably small). You''ve spoken your mind: Moderators should be more professional, helpful and actively encourage the same of others. I concur. There is only one caveat, which is that this is an objective, and not a rule. Moderators are volunteers, and we''ve had many quit out of disgust with the reaction/response of members of the community - where''s Yann L? So balance your criticisms with some congratulations and respect. It''s not fair to blanket "moderators" when we have several who are doing excellent jobs - all the forum mods, IMO.

Which means that you only have issues with one or two mods (I''ll be happy to recant if you can give evidence to the contrary), so why not contact those mods or Dave rather than, unjustly, IMO, raising an issue against all moderators?

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
And it took you this long to make that simple of a point?
That is inaccurate. I have been making that point all along, and I feel you have been stubbornly resisting it and reinterpreting my intentions to cloud the issue (though not intentionally), when it should have been quite clear from the beginning.
quote:
Original post by irbrian
I would think a moderator should be more interested in answering people's questions, not alienating people for simple mistakes.
quote:
Original post by irbrian
While I find the abuse and condescension of ordinary veteran users (those not associated with gamedev) repulsive, I find it absolutely inexcusable when Moderators take this attitude toward their patrons. They are the face of GameDev, are quite frankly, ARE giving it a bad name.
quote:
Original post by irbrian
...it would be nice if the moderators themselves could actively encourage professionalism and general courtesy on the part of all posters.
quote:
Original post by irbrian
Incidentally, if I've been picking no moderators, or on you, it's only because you keep trying to reinterpret my comments as an attack on moderators, and I was responding to that; when in fact my point has always been more general than that.
quote:
You've spoken your mind: Moderators should be more professional, helpful and actively encourage the same of others. I concur. There is only one caveat, which is that this is an objective, and not a rule. Moderators are volunteers, and we've had many quit out of disgust with the reaction/response of members of the community - where's Yann L? So balance your criticisms with some congratulations and respect. It's not fair to blanket "moderators" when we have several who are doing excellent jobs - all the forum mods, IMO.
You're right. ALL GameDev Moderators deserve an enormous amount of respect and appreciation for the time and effort they freely sacrifice to maintain these forums. I should have prefaced any comments I've made toward moderators with that fact.
quote:
Which means that you only have issues with one or two mods (I'll be happy to recant if you can give evidence to the contrary), so why not contact those mods or Dave rather than, unjustly, IMO, raising an issue against all moderators?
Here, I begin to wonder if you are still missing my point. Yes, a small handful of moderators have been directly guilty of the offense on occasion -- but No, it is not limited to them by any means, nor to moderators in general. It is a forum-wide problem, with dozens of repeat offenders.

Moderators are , however, the solution . Moderators are responsible for the atmosphere of the forums in which they moderate. I will repeat yet again: Moderators ought to be more professional and helpful, and should actively encourage others to act professional as well, instead of acting like children .

[edited by - irbrian on April 16, 2004 12:56:51 PM]

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
quote:
Original post by irbrian
Look, I''m not trying to get you in trouble. I''m trying to make a point -- that Moderators ought to be more professional and helpful, and should actively encourage others to act professional as well, instead of acting like children.
And it took you this long to make that simple of a point? That''s distressing.

I''ve been encouraging you to be direct and to the point. We''re not children; we shouldn''t get annoyed and testy over small things (and this is laughably small). You''ve spoken your mind: Moderators should be more professional, helpful and actively encourage the same of others. I concur. There is only one caveat, which is that this is an objective, and not a rule. Moderators are volunteers, and we''ve had many quit out of disgust with the reaction/response of members of the community - where''s Yann L? So balance your criticisms with some congratulations and respect. It''s not fair to blanket "moderators" when we have several who are doing excellent jobs - all the forum mods, IMO.

Which means that you only have issues with one or two mods (I''ll be happy to recant if you can give evidence to the contrary), so why not contact those mods or Dave rather than, unjustly, IMO, raising an issue against all moderators?

i was not aware that Yann L left because he was disgusted with the way members of GD behave toward him or behaved in general. i have not read a post or thread where a member treated him with spite or disrespect. so what exactly are you referring to with that comment? are you spewing misinformation or did he tell you (meaning staff and mods) something he didn''t tell us?

I think he confused YannL with S1CA. Yann left for personal reasons. S1CA was in line to take his place, but left for the reasons stated.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!