licensing mmorpg code

Started by
77 comments, last by Agreenknight 20 years ago
couple of things

1) if you want to license it for $150,000 show me a fully functional game that is currently using your engine. no one licensed the id engine until they saw their game, no one licensed the unreal engine until they saw their game. i'm 90% certain that no one licensed havok until they saw it used in a game (i'm pretty sure the first game got havok free to get their name out there). otherwise, if you want people to license your engine you ship them an evaluation disk of some sort where they can "try before they buy". no one spends money on something that's not proven and that they can't mess around with first. havok, for instance, will allow you to get a free evaluation copy before you purchase their product.

2) if you want to license it for $150,000 why in gods name are you posting on a mostly hobbyist board? the only people i ever see talking about developing MMPOGs on this forum have an average age of about 14. (nothing against 14 year olds it's just that I can guarantee that none of them will be paying $150,000 for anything).

[EDIT: i'd also point out that if "It has been tested however we are unsure of it's limits as of yet" no one is going to license anything for money. you need hard stats on max players, server load, etc before anyone will license it. you should take a look at all the information that havok gives for their engine and try to replicate the thouroughness of that as closely as possible.]

-me

[edited by - Palidine on April 8, 2004 9:59:35 PM]
Advertisement
goldmage- I know you as wizrealms, yes I do remember you. No hard feelings however I we were under the impression you had sold that script. We need to see something before we can pay you. Thank you, for your comments, and suggestions, we do have a C++ code as part of the package.

Palidine
1) We are not selling an engine, and yes we have things we can show them.

2) We are not only posting here, can you name a better place? Most of the people here, are hobbyists true, but there may be a few. We only need a few to license it at 150k.

We are planning to use this code for our mmorpg. We aren''t going to go around and tell it''s stats. If you want information, contact us privately.
http://technologyrants.blogspot.com/
You have unrealistic expectations. In your dreams maybe you will find a company willing to pay 150 000 $ for an unproven engine, but where most of us live, in reality, this won't happen.

You need to prove that your engine is really worth 150 000 $. A first step would be to have an evaluation license system, a full (and successful) game to show, and a professional website (not with a credits page full of 14-years-old stereotypical nicknames), with lots of technical docs on what your engine is providing and how it's different from the competition. In addition you will have to do maintenance and customer support. Are you a legally registered company at least ?

Y.

[edited by - Ysaneya on April 9, 2004 4:35:05 AM]
Ysaneya, this is not an engine. An engine is like the raw materials for a car. We are selling more like a kit to make the car. Sure it does require self assembly, but it''s less time consuming that making it from scratch.
Sorry, but I don''t even see $150 worth of stuff on your site, let alone $150,000. In fact, I only see 3 pieces of concept art, which some poor sap probably submitted to you in your "contest", for a prize that doesn''t and will never exist. Consider this vaporware.
________________________________________________Chris McGuirkLead Programmer - Axiom 3D EngineC# gaming, the way of the future!http://www.axiom3d.org
This isn''t vaporware, if your seriousily interested then say so, and I''ll get you more information.
Ooh...I''m interested. First, tell me why I should license this over say, the Unreal Engine, or Havok.
Ooh...I''m interested. First, tell me why I should license this over say, the Unreal Engine, or Havok.
Ohh! I like the painterly look of the images!

oh, wait.. that was concept scetches... How about some screenshots?

[edited by - frostburn on April 9, 2004 9:35:36 AM]
quote:
Ysaneya, this is not an engine. An engine is like the raw materials for a car.

A call this a framework or a basecode.

quote:
We are selling more like a kit to make the car.

... And i call that an engine.

Maybe it could clear up the confusion if you gave some examples of what''s included in your kit ?

Y.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement